Banner Ad 1

Radios - single prop radios

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 116-1052426012 » Thu May 08, 2003 4:37 pm

Im planning on buying a 1/96 Ohio model when it comes out from thor design. What would be the best choice for radio control.
116-1052426012

Postby Robse » Sat May 10, 2003 10:29 am

Hi TridentD5:

I'll give it a shot, as I'm building an Ohio class sub at this time. We'll need the following functions/channels:

1) Engine ahead / reverse
2) Rudders starboard / port
3) Rudders up / down
4) Dive / surface (Water to & from ballast tanks)

and as an option:
5) Missile fireing
6) Torpedo fireing
7) Lights on / off

If you look at Graupner transmitters and receivers, remember that Graupner counts channels differently than everyone else. In their book, the function "engine ahead" & "engine reverse" is two channels...
The way I see it, we'll need at least no. 1 through 4, which is a need for 4 channels. (That'l be 8 in Graupner language) I'm currently looking at transmitter MC10 from Graupner, and receiver C17 also from Graupner. The MC10 can be expanded, and since the dive/surface function is just a push-bottom operation, it should do the trick. I have not testet this yet, and I have not gotten it confirmed as it's quite some time till I'll need it, but it should be close.

For a furter explanation on the R/C needs, please see my site (See link below) about my sub, look under "Remote Control Configuration " and "Engine, Gear, Servos, R/C Etc" for details.

Please talk to your local R/C store before ordering anything. It would be terriable to sit around with a system with too few channels. Good luck with your sub.
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby JWLaRue » Sat May 10, 2003 12:32 pm

hi D5!

In addition to the advice offered by Robse, you may wish to consider the pros and cons of a computer radio.

This type of radio gives you the ability to tailor just about everything and anything that the radio does. Of particular interest would be servo travel distance, assigning channels to specific switches (or combination of switches), mixing of channel functions (e.g. I use a 3-way toggle to run my ballast system), and the ability to store multiple, custom profiles in the radio (each sub that I run has it's own unique settings).

I wholeheartedly support the comment about making sure that you have enough channels! Buy a radio with 'extra' channels now....it can be expensive to upgrade later.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to General