Banner Ad 1

Need Museam ideas - A U-boat museum is starting in Germany

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby U-5075 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:18 am

In Eckenfoerd there is the Deutsches U-boot Museum. It is in its early stages of growth.

What ideas do you have for exhibits, interactive things, graphics, videos, computer simulations, kids programs, adult programs, company sponsorship programs, military veterans things, rotating exhibits, anything else?

What things have you seen at other types of museums, children's museums, a shallow fresh water pool with R/C boating events, science museums that work and produce good turn outs? What would "wild horses not be able to keep you from going to?"

On the flip side.... what does not work? What are your pet peeves for museums such as this? What do you..... well, uh.... hate?

And if you are a European SC member or non-member, what are your unique inputs? And if you live in Germany I would particularly like your inputs.

Should you prefer, please feel free to e-mail your ideas.
U-5075

Postby TMSmalley » Thu May 01, 2003 11:03 am

Hi -
Check out the Historic Naval Ship Association's website. They are the organization of naval ship museums from around the world. I have been involved with them in the past.

They are a fantastic resources for everything from preserving steel and wood hulls, marketing your museum, to insect control and food services. Hist. Naval Ship Association website I notice that the U-995 in Laboe Germany is a member of the group.

For SubCommittee members who do some travelling and like to visit submarine museums - you can find out if there are any near you by going to HNSA's listing "by type of ship" and scroll down to the submarine area. HNSA's Sub Museum Listing
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to General