Banner Ad 1

WOW! The new ThorDesign Permit - Just got her in the mail!

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Lyle Jansma » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:22 pm

WOW!

Just got my new ThorDesign Permit in the mail and she is a
beauty! The scribing is so crisp! The instructions and
drawings don't leave anything to chance, the best I've had to
work from. To those who are looking at getting into a sub
for the first time or simply upgrading, you owe it to yourself to
take a close look at the Permit or any of the ThorDesign kits!

I hope to have her running by the Cultus Lake Patrol!

Thank You Matt!
:D
"Underway On Nuclear Power."
Lyle Jansma SCM#2214 Atomic Subs SubCom-IP
Lyle Jansma

Postby Ramius » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:47 am

Lyle,
I just started on an Alfa of Matt Thor's also.Will try to have her ready for the subron5 Fun run in august.
People,I agree with Lyle.Matt has helped me every step so far,and the quality of the hull is top shelf.
If anyone is out there on the fence thinking about a boat,consider what you are seeing.Customer feedback says a lot about a man and his work.I can only imagine how cool the seawolf and the ohio boats are.
We will see more from Matt and he is a valuable asset to this hobby.
I whole heartedly feel someone who is this good deserves our support in this hobby.Having said all this,I understand there are others that are excellent suppliers also.Just so far my experiances,no one has helped a newbe more than him.
I am , in three weeks,farther along,and with better result,than another hull in over a year,with less hours.
Now that I have gone on and on,that is enough from me.
Let's build boats and have FUN!!!
Wayne
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:11 pm

SSN 594 Electronic Instructions

Thanks, Guys. If you would like to take a look at the on-line instructions, please take a look at the above link. They are just getting underway and are nowhere near complete, but I think we have an excellent start. Any input would be appreciated. We plan to do this for every hull kit, and electronic device that we market.
:)
ThorDesign

Postby Tim Morris » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:39 pm

The online instructions are interesting AND look like they will be helpful.

The note about not ticking off your wife by messing up the kitchen is good advice too.

I am not that brave and mostly work where I have the workbench because i believe in safety!!

This is an excellent idea.
:D
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby 87-1046108477 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:21 am

FEEL THE POWER OF THOR! :angry:
87-1046108477

Postby Carter » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:36 pm

Matt:

Should the indexing lip on the Sturgeon be cut down like the indexing lip on the Permit as you describe in your instructions?

Thanks.
Carter

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:18 am

Hi Carter,

I got a bit carried away when I set the molds up for Permit. It's indexing lip is a bit high and needs to be cut down a tad. The optimal height is around 1/2" which seems to provide the most stable seating surface without being overly large. I think the Sturgeon is about right and should not need to be cut down.

:)
ThorDesign

Postby Carter » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:33 am

Hi Matt:

I tried e-mailing you about this question and the full-hub props you said you'd be getting. Did I get through?

I am wondering about the indexing lip on the port side of my Sturgeon. The hull meets perfectly on the starboard side, but on the edge of the port side of the upper hull extends 1/32 inch + beyond the lower hull, so that it is stepped out a bit. I'd like to make the gap as flush as it is on the starboard side. Would sanding down (thining and/or cutting down) the index lip on the port side make the port upper hull tighter/ flush with the lower hull? I was also thiking of painting on a coat of epoxy, then rubber banding the upper hull as it dried so it would be tighter against the lower. Please advise before I start experimenting.

Work is winding down for the summer, and I can get back to this boat, which has been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get with it.

Thanks.
Carter

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:36 pm

Hi Carter,

I did not get your email about this, but the solution is very simple. Since this is an epoxy hull all you have to do it take a hair dryer and heat the top to the point at which is uncomfortable to hold~125-130 degrees. With the top hull very warm, gently pinch the top in about 1/5" until it cools or run cold water over it. This will move the hull back to where it should be. This is called post curing. In order for this part to deflect again, it will need to be subjected to heat greater than what you just put into it. :)
ThorDesign

Postby PaulC » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:49 pm

Guys,

The first 4 sections of the Permit instructions are now online. Section 5 "Stern Planes" should get posted soon. You can access them through the new main page at http://www.thordesign.com/permit/kit_permit_intro.html.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to General