Banner Ad 1

Modeling "lost" subs - Is it disrespectful or homage?

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby BoomerFunker » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:42 pm

If the Thresher or Scorpion suddenly made an appearance at the pond not to mention an Kursk or K-19, would this be considered bad manners and disrespectful to boat and its crew on eternal patrol or a form of homage and memorializing them? Assume the craft is very well made and accurately modeled and run obeying all the operating rules in place.
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tim Morris » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:04 pm

the fact that you are asking this question tells me that you would not do anything to offend.
i suppose if you ask enough people there would be someone that could think of a reason why its a bad idea, but i cant.
of course if you take your sub out and lose it in front of a bunch of members of the subcommittee, you are bound to get a pretty bad teasing up until they help you find it!!
a few good examples of lost subs and ships that have been made by expert model makers are the Hunley and the Arizona.
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby Britt Boyette » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:31 pm

I think it's fine and if anyone ever ask you about it, tell them that it's a living memorial so we don't forget the Sailors who give their life serving their country. Do it!

Edited By Britt Boyette on 1048213926
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby seaphoto » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:09 pm

Some of the most popular models are those of ships that had tragic ends. If that was a limiting factor, then you would not have models of the Arizona, Yamato, Titanic and Bismarck, to name a few...

Kurt Greiner
www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
Home of the big model warships
Kurt Greiner - Former SC Member #0194
Seaphoto Maritime Photography
Featuring many submarine photos!
http://warshipphotos.com
And Warship Models Underway

http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
seaphoto

Postby Dolphin » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:28 am

Interesting topic. Hummmmmm.

We build models of ships for many reasons....history, battle record, tragedy, victory, sentimentally, love of technology, solitude in the work shop. I think the reasons for building a model of a tragic vessel as judged by history is fine even if perhaps I might feel a bit morose if I attended a regatta with nothing but Thresher, Scorpion, Thetis, Titanic, Kursk, Bounty.

As submarine modelers we are special artists, and in the subjects we select to render, we are revealing some varied need to express. I often wonder by operating a r/c model of such good if tragic ships, we some how consciously or unconsciously want to turn back the clock, to be there to correct some fault, to alter history. A reflection of our own mortality. What if the lookout on Titanic could have seen that berg a half minute earlier? What if Tang could have made that emergency turn a few seconds earlier avoiding that last runaway torpedo.

The true enemy of a submariner, as all sailors what ever their nationality, is the implacable sea all around them, whither fate comes by accident or by enemy intent. Reminded by our own mortality, we reflect knowing we could have done everything right, and still might lose to the cold sea. Ships of all types reflect man and woman's intrepid spirit, we measure ourselves. In the case of submarines, the measure of those whom sail in them can be even finer.

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby Pat Davis » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:47 pm

I agree that there is no harm done. Just take a look at the mass of German U-Boats around... most display the Nazi flag.

R/C subs are not political tools or statements, they are simply recreations to the best of the builders ability. Anyone who reads more into it than that needs a realiy check.

Building a boat, doing it well, and having fun is whats important. If you spend a year or two building a boat to honour lost souls... then to me, thats a testament to your good character, not a dark cloud by any means.

Pat Davis
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Postby BoomerFunker » Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:25 pm

Thank You for all your well thought responses. I am very new to the hobby and didn't want to commit what could conceivably be a serious faux pax.
I agree, a well built boat is a credit to the builder and if that boat is also one with a tragic history it can also honor the fallen crew of and whichever navy it served.
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby Silent Hunter » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:09 am

What a great question, and one that has gone around in my mind many times. I want to thank all of you that replied to this topic. My biggest thanks though, go to the people who have lost their lives, fighting in wars, and defending freedom.
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby 71-1048570373 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:41 pm

Yes! By All Means....Building A "Lost Boat" Would In Effect Keep The Memory Of That Boat And It's Crew Alive To All
Who Had Or Have Knowledge Of Her.
I Built A 1/48 Scale Model Scorpion, SSN-589 From A DeBoer Kit
Years Ago.
I Lost The Boat And Recovered It A Week Later. After Returning It To Service, A Fellow Club Memeber Asked To
Purchase It. I Asked Him, If You Buy It You Must Keep It
"In Service". To This Day This Model Has A Place Of
Prominence On A Shelf In His Home For All To See.
The Record Of My Models Loss And Recovery Is
In The SCR Under My Name As Author.
Andre Burgess
Washington Navy Yard Model Boaters.
< http://www.geocities.com/greymac52.geo/index.html>
71-1048570373

Return to General