Banner Ad 1

Lost Boomer

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:00 am

In a conversation with a navy friend yesterday I stated that the TV news said that 96 nuke warheads have been lost at sea from various nations over the years, some where lost from plane crashes over the ocean, some rolled off carrier decks and some went down with subs. I went on to say that I know that the USSR lost some boomers but the US never lost any boomers only two nuke attack subs; Thresher and Scorpion which I don't think had nuke warheads on board. He said no the US did loose a boomer but would not elaborate any further. My question for today is did the US loose a boomer and what was it's name? I have never heard this before. I know a US boomer lost the sail during some tight manuevers at sea but did make it home for repairs.

David
David
Dave

Postby 87-1045888409 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:55 pm

Dave
If you mean an SSBN when you say "boomer," your friend is absolutely wrong. We have never lost a fleet ballistic missile submarine. The soviets have but not the US.

Diesel Boats Forever!

Bill
87-1045888409

Postby Robse » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:33 pm

Hi David

I have two links that might help you on this. They are both about nuclear accidents through-out the world.
http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html#subs and this:
http://archive.greenpeace.org/~comms/nukes/chernob/rep02.html
Try to search using your Internet Explorer for the word 'SUB' (search-function found under 'Edit')

Just for the record: The attitude towards nuclear energy on those sites might / might not represent mine. ???
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to General