Banner Ad 1

adhesives - Need info

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Terry Weber » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:24 pm

I have been looking around the Subcommittee's web site for awhile now. I've been looking mostly at the different R/C Sub kits out there, and which one to get as a first boat. My questions is this: Can someone give me a kind of list of tools, adhesives and genral supplies needed to get most kits from the box and into the water? It's late, I'll be back later to add to this. Thanks,
Terry Weber :D
User avatar
Terry Weber
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Postby Tim Morris » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:44 pm

my suggestion is to go to the thor website and give the online instructions a once over.
they are still being finished but it gives a good start.
i found that i made it more difficult than it was--and wasted a lot of time that way--but now i am just follerin the 'structions and its going a lot faster.
most of the tools and materials are things you already have if you make models or r/c projects of any kind.
the permit or sturgeon kits are beautiful kits and are fairly straight forward. also reasonable price tags.
its also very helpful to meet other people doing the same thing--are you anywhere close to a show event on the calender?

Best Regards,
Tim Morris
User avatar
Tim Morris
Registered User
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Wisconsin USA

Postby Tom Spettel » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:17 pm

Tim check out Thor design's Alpha or the Sturgeon. Matt can help you out with any Q's you might have on const.
you also might want to check out Small World models they have the blueback and the kilo. and subtech has the Albacore and marlin. these three should keep you busy for a while
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
User avatar
Tom Spettel
Registered User
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:46 am

Postby Terry Weber » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:05 am

Hi again, Okay, my first post was not asking about kits. I was looking into getting a list of supplies. Also can someone explain what the "microballons" are? I know they are not what you take to a birthday party. Also the CA adhisive? Thanks
Terry :p
User avatar
Terry Weber
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Postby Art Broder » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:52 pm

Have a party with Microballoons! They are small hollow spheres used as fillers for epoxy or polyester resins. They make the resins easier to use as fillets and easier to sand.
CA is an abbreviation for cyanoacrylate, which is an instant adhesive,like Crazy Glue. Don't stick your fingers together! :O
Art Broder
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
User avatar
Art Broder
Registered User
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:35 am
Location: MA

Postby Sub culture » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:56 pm

Hi Terry,

You ought to try and get hold of a copy of the West systems epoxy handbook.

It's packed full of useful information, which is applicable to most forms of fibreglass work, and what is more, it's free!

The information is also available at their website:-



Edited By Sub culture on 1051124486
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in-
User avatar
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:55 am
Location: London, UK

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]