Banner Ad 1

really? there's no one in ventura that boats

Place for general submarine conversation

really? there's no one in ventura that boats

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Moved to ventura country, opened a model and visual effects studio. Want to boat again but can't find a good lake or anyone that does RC sub's or boats up here. Hard to believe. Report in if you do.
Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Re: really? there's no one in ventura that boats

Postby Southern Or » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:35 am

I'd move if your hiring.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:54 am

Had a look on google maps. Doesn't look like there are any ponds or municipal swimming pools very local around that region. I did however see there is a golf course called River Ridge Golf club which has a fairly large pond at one edge of the course.

Perhaps it would be worth a call to the club manager to ask if you could access that, after all model submariners tend to remain fairly inconspicuous and aren't likely to get in the way. The worst they can say is no.

'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:29 am

In the six months since Steve made this post, he's found a place relatively local to float his boats. Check out his video blogs on building the OTW R-class sub...the last installment is taken at nearby Hanson (sp?) dam.

Also since then SubRonLA has been started....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Over 50 miles from Ventura going by google directions. I guess that's local for USA. It's far, far away in UK terms, local would be ten miles max.

Always amazes me when looking over on google maps the size and scale of the towns and cities in the States, but how tiny and few park spaces you have.

Here in London, we're pretty tightly packed, but you can't go more than a mile or two without encountering a park or common ground of some description.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:49 pm

So very true!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Andy there are several such pond very local at golf course which there are a meirod of in this area but it's been my experience that the golf people don't like anyone on their courses except those that play golf.

At the natural lakes up here they are all enviromently protected. I'm surprised me have a flying field at lake Casitas but they don't alow RC boats without all kinds of restrictions and inspections.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 am

Well thats not good. At least here in the Portland Metro area we have 2 artificial ponds for boats-both natural(ish). One is drained in the winter so I'm betting its tap water. I've already been green lighted by the club that has permissions at them, I just need to you know, finish the boat.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Had another look around. Ventura High School have a swimming pool. Wouldn't mind betting that is underused or not used at all at weekends, at least not on a Sunday. Worth an email or phone call.

Going by the map it's about 60 foot square, which is enough to have fun in.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Sub culture wrote:Had another look around. Ventura High School have a swimming pool. Wouldn't mind betting that is underused or not used at all at weekends, at least not on a Sunday. Worth an email or phone call.

Going by the map it's about 60 foot square, which is enough to have fun in.

Funny story, I CAN'T use the pool at my complex because-get this- if something fell off of my 1:100 Typhoon it could "damage the pool filtration system." Ironically, I can "reserve to pool from 5:30pm to 11:00pm. The office closes and everyone goes home around 6:00pm.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Attaboy. The "Silent Service" at its best.

Nothing like stealth—night or day.

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Steve,

You may need to build a salt water "target". Maybe, a lifeboat for the small waves along the coast. I used to run my go-fast boats from the beaches in Huntington. Just do a good cleaning after.

Quite fun jumping waves.

D
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Funny story, I CAN'T use the pool at my complex because-get this- if something fell off of my 1:100 Typhoon it could "damage the pool filtration system."

Well, yeah, those miniature Nuke-Le-Ar warheads will contaminate the whole pool! Children will glow in the dark! And what if the miniature reactor springs a leak? One of the local lizards could get into the pool and mutate into Godzilla.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Tom you are so correct. From tree hugging to saving the pool we have it all in California. ;)

Steve

P.S. Daren we are within walking distance of the Harbor. Lots of room and calm waters.
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey, I think it's messed up. The Willamette has a few super sites around here and Hanford, WA isn't to far away, not to mention up stream the Columbia. What's a little lead compared to a few million gallons of toxic waste?
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General