Banner Ad 1

modified robbe u47 - weight adjustment

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 116-1049133382 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:11 pm

built a robbe u47 and added accurate armour tower also added more scale railings, reduced the led weight because it sank took off nearly 1 third of weight and it floates but water is just on top of deck, if i remove any more weight it seems top heavey and rolls over whats the souloution i would likeit sitting more at the max level as shown in the drawing, dare not risk it in the canal with out some advice ( new to subs )
116-1049133382

Postby ThierryC » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:03 pm

You should try to add pieces of foam (construction foam) under the deck until the boat reaches the waterline that you desire. However if you don;t have a static dive system in your u47 you cannot dive with a scale waterline. It will be a lot easier on your engines to be close to deck awash
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby wellington » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:49 pm

Tony
I agree with Thierry. I did the exact same thing to my boat. Accurat armour tower, less weight. You will not be able to run it at scale waterline. Mine also has the water line up to the deck. I am planning on making it a static diver. Check out picture of mine and other boats at subcomOnt. website.
Dave goddard
wellington

Postby g2tiger » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:26 pm

I purchased a Accurate Armor tower for my Robbe. One thing I did was break out the dremel tool and drill. I used the drill to make a series of holes in the material I wanted to remove, then I used the Dremel tool to grind between the holes reducing the extra material. I cut a good amount out of the tower this way. If its not too late you should try this.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:27 am

Adding weight high up is never a good idea on a model sub as it reduces the metacentric height- bad news!

Another solution to this problem would be to get in touch with the guys at Accurate armour, tell them the problem and ask them if you could make a one-off rubber mould of their tower and cast in lightweight epoxy and glass.

If they don't want to play ball then I guess you'll have to go with the dremel and/or foam idea!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pat Davis » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:59 am

One more tidbit to add to the pile:

I've got a U-47 with the AA tower. Solving the weight problem was a byproduct of installing working periscopes. I basically Dremeled out the center of the tower to accomodate the scopes... and wadda ya know, saved 1.5 pounds!

Otherwise.. the foam is the best idea. Every sub will require some trimming with foam and/or lead. It's a pain, but thats Subs :)

Pat
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Postby Pat Davis » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:00 am

Srry, double post.

Edited By Pat Davis on 1050570129
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Return to General