Banner Ad 1

Receivers

Place for general submarine conversation

Receivers

Postby gogiantks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:16 am

HI Everyone,
The build on my Skipjack and sub driver is going great. Finished mounting the electronics tonight. The question I have is I have been using Futaba radios in my aircraft for over 30 years without a failure. Sub driver recommends the sombra reciever due to superior electrical noise rejection. I'm having Radio South convert my fm radio :P to a surface frequency, should I stick with Futaba or go to sombra? Do any of you out there have any advice?
Ken Shapiro, Albany, Ca.
gogiantks
SubCommittee Member

Re: Receivers

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Ken,

Folks have been using Futaba receivers for many years with good results. Futaba is still manufacturing and selling their surface frequency receivers, which can be found through a number of vendors. On the other hand, Sombra Labs is no longer in the business of making or selling their receivers. I don't know if any even are still available.

All that said, if you already have a Sombra Labs recevier go ahead and use it. (They're nice receivers) If you don't have one, then get a Futaba receiver. It'll work just fine.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am

Tower Hobbies has the Futaba 8Channel FM receiver available in 75 MHZ on sale right now!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Jeff,

Let's qualify the Sombra statement Jeff; if you can get it to work! We've recently had a batch of bad ones up our way. They either quit working in long installed boats, or, they won't work from the get go. We've been swapping them out for Futabas recently.

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Bill,

Good feedback. I have a Sombra Labs receiver in my OTW Seehund and it has worked without problems for quite some time. Clearly your experience points out that there can be problems...and speaks to buying product from a maufacturer that is still in business, especially since there is probably no recourse to getting repairs or replacements.

I should also note that I have Futaba receivers that have worked flawlessly for 10 years. The only problem I ever had was one that got 'dunked' too many times and finally gave up the ghost.

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby gogiantks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll stick with Futaba.
Ken Shapiro, Albany Ca.
gogiantks
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 am

I am looking to buy 4 Sombra labs, so if you want to sell, let me know.
I think since you use Futaba, sticking with it is a good move.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Return to General