Banner Ad 1

New Guy - Parts Source Question

Place for general submarine conversation

New Guy - Parts Source Question

Postby ccontrol » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi,

Just getting back into subs after a 15 year break whilst raising a family. No, I'm not British, I just always wanted to use the word "whilst" in a sentence.

I am digging through my boxes of stuff and have listed some parts for sale to fund my current project a 1/48 scale Fleet Snorkel Gato conversion.
So I'm having trouble figuring out who sells what here commercially, It seems like the old website had vendors categorized by product so it was a little easier to find stuff.
I see the banner ads and have checked all of them out. I love the improvements to the state of the art in model sub engineering, especially since we seem to have come full circle back to pump systems that were poo-pooed in some circles as "primitive". :D

So my first of many questions is where can I source lexan tubing and appropriate end caps for pressure hull construction. I could use a variety of sizes but the ballast tank will need to be at least 3.5 inches of not 4 inches in diameter.

Thanks in advance!

Rip Van Winkle
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Re: New Guy - Parts Source Question

Postby Sub culture » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Rip :P

Mcmaster Carr seems to be well regarded in the states for lexan tubing. Here in blighty we don't use it much, because it costs an arm and a leg, so we tend to use either acrylic or PVC if you're less bothered about having a transparent WTC. PVC tends to have similar qualities to lexan, e.g. you can bounce it off the floor, and cut it with coarse blades, unlike acrylic. It's also readily available from plumbers merchants.

Commercial endcaps in large sizes can be a little bit tricky. Dave Merriman was supplying some for a while via Caswell, but I think that's stopped now and they've gone back to selling complete WTC's. Can't think of anyone else doing the larger sizes in imperial measurements.

Maybe invest in a small lathe and spin your own?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks Sub Culture,

That's what I thought I was seeing, i.e. nobody seems to sell WTC components anymore. Good to know and I do have a Unimat SL which I think qualifies as a small lathe. Does anyone have a set of dimensioned drawings to use as a guideline? I am curious about how much to undersize the cap to fit the tubing ID an how to dimension the O-ring groove. Owning a lathe doesn't make me a machinist anymore than owning a stethoscope makes me a doctor!

Rip
(Steve in Seattle)
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Mikes Subworks still sells WTC components, including endcaps. No need to purchase a complete WTC if you would like to construct your own.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby SubICman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I get my Lexan throigh McMaster Carr, also most of my misc fittings, o-rings, and other components. There tubing is decently priced and I can buy by the foot. Last time I bought polycarb tubing in 2.5 inch it was 35.00 for 4 feet or so. Mikes subworks for endcaps, or you can get adventurous and cast your own. Need a decent lathe to be precise for that. If you are going for RCABS and are using a bladder, you can get blood pressure cuff bladders through Amazon fairly cheap. Don't forget Ebay, I always find the little valves (can't remember their name right now) on there going for anywhere from 5 to 20 dollars each. My local True value also loves me because I keep them in business with brass fittings. Stainless steel rods I find online at various places, bought a dozen 3/16" 1 foot rods for 10 bucks plus shipping about 9 months ago. The air pumps get pricey, usually find them for around 40 bucks. And my local hobby store has the standard brass selection for brass stock. Also checl out the Robot Market place for electronics....being robots they specialize in 75 mhz stuff. They haven't bought into the 2.4 gig **** yet.

Tim
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 am

Thor, SubICman, Sub Culture,

Thanks for the replies! Great information. I had not dug deep enough into Mike's Subwork's website to find the great end caps and other bits. That is exactly what I have been looking for. McMaster Carr looks excellent as well. These are perfect as I want to do my own internal engineering but not construct the actual cylinder components myself.

Hate to sound like a broken record but we really need a simple links page with URLs for the vendors that support the hobby with brief descriptions of what they sell.

Looking forward to getting back to working on models. On thing though, I don't recall needing glasses last time I built a boat...
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm

..and let's not forget Big Dave Designs (Dave Welch), who is doing a lot of good, innovative things with dive modules and RCABs type systems. Since you've been checking out the banner ads, you've certainly been to his web site.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 pm

JWLaRue wrote:..and let's not forget Big Dave Designs (Dave Welch), who is doing a lot of good, innovative things with dive modules and RCABs type systems. Since you've been checking out the banner ads, you've certainly been to his web site.

-Jeff

I may have seen his banner but I just tried reloading multiple pages of the SC website and never saw his banner.
Even his forum area doesn't show his banner and none of the postings lead me to a website where I can see what is for sale and how to order.
Truly not complaining but how about throwing all the banners on a links page? :D
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Dave's banner ad does show up...it does take time to cycle through to get it to appear. :)

His web site is: http://www.frontiernet.net/~bwelch/

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:50 pm

the reload selects a random ad, it does not show them in any order. so it can take quite a while ...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:05 pm

If you want to machine your own endcaps, your little unimat is up tot he task, as you will be machining plastic which is fairly undemanding even for a small machine.

Calculating tolerances for o-rings is really very easy, and you do have quite a margin of error, so this is accurate rather than precision crafting.

I can give you basic run down of how to go about this, but I don't wish to waste my time and yours by explaining it all if you intend to purchase the caps ready done.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Sub culture wrote:If you want to machine your own endcaps, your little unimat is up tot he task, as you will be machining plastic which is fairly undemanding even for a small machine.

Calculating tolerances for o-rings is really very easy, and you do have quite a margin of error, so this is accurate rather than precision crafting.

I can give you basic run down of how to go about this, but I don't wish to waste my time and yours by explaining it all if you intend to purchase the caps ready done.

Thank you for your kind offer, I really appreciate it! I think with the above information about the availability of caps from Mikes Subworks and polycarbonate tube from other sources I think I am on the right track.
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jacobsenra » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Tap plastics does have the WTC'S tube in lengths up to 6' and dia up to 4". I picked up 6' of 2 1/2" today for 30 bucks. They also sell it by the foot and will cut to any length you want while you wait. Nice!

Bob
Jacobsenra
SubCommittee Member

Return to General