Banner Ad 1

Question about Skipjack Ballast Tank Vents

Place for general submarine conversation

Question about Skipjack Ballast Tank Vents

Postby goose814 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:09 am

The Moebius Skipjack and the Greg Sharpe plans for the Skipjack show 5 pair of ballast tank vents, 3 pair forward and 2 pair aft. Also, all the photos of the Skipjack subs I've seen show 5 pairs of vents. However, all references I have show that the Skipjack subs had 6 ballast tanks, 3 forward and 3 aft. So my question is: where is the missing aft pair of vents at? By studying the references I have, it appears that the missing vents may be for ballast tanks 4A and 4B, but I can't find any photos or anything else that shows more than the 5 pairs of vents. Does anyone happen to have any additional information that can enlighten me? Thanks very much for any help.
goose814
SubCommittee Member

Re: Question about Skipjack Ballast Tank Vents

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Not sure if this helps, but...

Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Re: Question about Skipjack Ballast Tank Vents

Postby goose814 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks very much, but I have those references. The issue is that you can see there should be 3 pairs of vents aft but all the photos of this area that I have seen, as well as the Greg Sharpe plans, and the Moebius model show only 2 pairs of vents aft. I have been trying to figure out where that third pair of vents is located. Thanks again.
goose814
SubCommittee Member

Return to General