Banner Ad 1

SSBN=??? - What does it stand for?

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Robse » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:12 pm

Hi fellow subbers.

Does anyone know what "SSBN" stands for? Is it anything close to "Submergeable Ship, armory= Ballistic missiles, propultion= Nuclear"? :D

I've noticed that when the SSBN's are rebuild to carry (only) conventional arms, then they loose their B, and simply become SSN's..
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby seaphoto » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:40 pm

Pretty close... The SS is just the two letter designator for Submarine - it does not mean anything more than that. The B indeed indicates ballistic missile capability (as apposed to a G which would indicate Guided Missile capabablity, at least some of the time...SSN and Spruance class destroyers the exception there, but I digress...)

The N refers to nuclear propulsion.

HTH

Kurt
Kurt Greiner - Former SC Member #0194
Seaphoto Maritime Photography
Featuring many submarine photos!
http://warshipphotos.com
And Warship Models Underway

http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
seaphoto

Postby 75-1045824342 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:47 am

Hi Robse,

I think I saw on the internet a description that says that SSBN stands for Strategic Submarine Ballistic Nuclear.

Have no idea weather it is right or wrong.

Best Regards
Kim Mortensen
75-1045824342

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:09 pm

Hi Kim:

The USN designator for submarine is SS, when the designations were being made up back in the 1930's and ship that was a single word like Destroyer = DD Submarine SS, Battleship=BB, Cruisers were either Cruiser Light CL or Cruiser Heavy ( Attack ) =CA

SSBN was simply

SS Submarine
B Ballistic Missile
N Nuclear powered

I have heard many differant meanings to these but the official designator has always stayed the same, back in 1975 the Navy reclassified many classes of ships but the still stayed with the original designation rules.

One of the times I accompanied a tour group on the USS New Jersey, one of the people asked what BB stood for and the sailor said "Battleship Bombardment" The pained look on my face promped the sailor to ask me, and I gave the above explination. Sometimes when sailors are giving tours, they have been known to just make up what they do not already sure of. :cool:

W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
:p
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby 75-1045824342 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:46 am

Thanks (-:

Now I got that straight - But I think its one of those things where people tend to draw there own conclusions as to what they think is the right one. You seen to have a creadible one (-:

(I have painted "SSBN 726" on my submarine transportation box, and i have a feeling that I will have to answer this question quite some times.)

Thanks.
Kim Mortensen
75-1045824342

Postby Robse » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:53 am

Hi all.

Thanks for all of the explanations, guys. As kim writes, we Ohio owners are aften asked what it stands for, and now I/we can give the correct answers. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to General