Banner Ad 1

Vacation Plans? - SubRegatta 2003

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby wlambing » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:54 pm

Haven't solidified your vacation plans, yet? How about the 12th Annual International SubRegatta? 26 and 27 July, 2003.
The event site is easy to get to, has plenty of parking, within easy reach of several historic centers, and is downright pleasant. We're improving on the "beach" launching area and have made other improvements regarding the tents and electrical service.
Accomodations are only a short drive from the site and are still available. Check out the EVENTS AND REGATTAS page on the SC main website for more info. This year is going to be another good one!
Take care,
Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby U-5075 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:42 am

MORE STUFF TO DO IN THE REGATTA AREA

If you are coming some distance from out of town here are a few more submarine and nautically related things to do within about an hour's drive. You might consider spending an extra day or so in this general area.

Russian submarine, Juliett 484. This was the boat used in the movie K-19. It is just down the road, about a 10-15 minute drive, just off of Rt. 95 in Providence.

Between the SubRegatta's Johnston, RI site and the Russian sub there is Providence's Federal Hill area. This is the Italian (food and restaurant) section. Absolutely super food. From Roma's (my favorite Italian deli that tours from Italy stop to see, closed on Sunday) to the most upscale $$$ spots with valet parking. There is a "best pizza in Rhode Island" and a coffee and (most rich and sinful} desserts and pastries only spot.

About one hour drive south on Rt. 95 is the Mystic Seaport. If you are into square riggers and a recreated whaling village, it is worth the visit.

About 1 1/4 hours south of Providence is the USS Nautilus Museum. You can tour the Nautilus and check out the museum inside and look at midget subs outside. It's just outside the main gate of SuBase New London (Yes, I know that the base is in really in Groton!). BEWARE, I believe that this place is closed on Tuesdays. Check their internet site before planning a visit.

Across the river and downstream of the Nautilus is Ft. Trumbull, New London. This is the former home of the US Navy Underwater Sound Lab's. It offers a spectacular view of New London Harbor and General Dynamics' Electric Boat plant.

If you are into building a Seehund there is the USS Salem Museum, Quincy Mass. with the Seehund that came from the Nautilus Museum. It is a one hour drive or less north of Providence.

E-mail me should you be interested in futher details and info for any of the above.
U-5075

Return to General