Banner Ad 1

Scale Shipyard

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Scale Shipyard

Postby Jeffrey J » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

hi Tom,
The Scale Shipyards type IX is right at 8' in length. I worked on mine right at 2 years, and I do mean every minute of spare time was spent building this kit. I was actually off work one summer and spent 3 weeks several hrs. each day just building the deck. The hull was clean and smooth, really no detail to speak of but excellent quality and the shape seemed to be very accurate. I would say the product is worth the cost. Just be ready to spend a while building this thing, it will take more than a few weekends. I think Mike Dory took 3 years to complete his. Mine looks good but lacks the detail Mike built into his, I did have it set up with 2 working torpedo tubes........... Good luck. Jeff Jones , One of the adds at the top of one of the pages on the SCR web site have a pic of my type IX in it.
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Jeff Jones is being much to modest. His Type IX is an unbelievable piece of work!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

I hope that I can get close to the build of Jeff's 9 for my SSY 1/48th scale 9.
His boat is a very inspiring build.
Does anyone have a CAD drawing of the Type IX deck?
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby tompinnell » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Jeffrey J wrote:hi Tom,
The Scale Shipyards type IX is right at 8' in length. I worked on mine right at 2 years, and I do mean every minute of spare time was spent building this kit. I was actually off work one summer and spent 3 weeks several hrs. each day just building the deck. The hull was clean and smooth, really no detail to speak of but excellent quality and the shape seemed to be very accurate. I would say the product is worth the cost. Just be ready to spend a while building this thing, it will take more than a few weekends. I think Mike Dory took 3 years to complete his. Mine looks good but lacks the detail Mike built into his, I did have it set up with 2 working torpedo tubes........... Good luck. Jeff Jones , One of the adds at the top of one of the pages on the SCR web site have a pic of my type IX in it.

Hi Jeff, If it’s the one with the camouflage I have to say that is one fantastic sub, I saw some more pictures of it I think it was a regatta day? part of the reason I was thinking about one of them, This idea is on the back burner as I got myself a 1:32 scale XXI which also is just a plain hull no detail it also is 8ft long so will be working on that for some time and I still haven't finished my OTW S class nearly there Thank you Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Really nice 1/32nd scale Type IX being constructed by Ron Perrott over on the Dive-in Facebook page. Almost thirty sheets of photoetched metal going in to this beast, with the lower half in GRP. Intended to be a definitive version of this class of boat, down to the last rivet. Only two model produced, cost was considered to be prohibitive for a kit.

'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Adz131 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Ron is fairly getting on with it!!!

Andy i thought he was selling it???
Adz131

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm

No, he had a Scale shipyard Type IX for sale, and also an Engel Type IX for sale.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby tompinnell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Subculture, That is a fantastic piece of work that Ron is doing, I have a question though will the weight of the metal on top and the lighter GRP lower cause a problem when ballasting the sub? Another question really shouldn’t be asking I have enough to do but does Ron still have the Type 9 hull for sale? If so how much I am in the UK. Cheers Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am

Tom,

For a boat that size, ballasting it will not be an issue. The PE stainless is quite thin and is probably not a lot different in weight than the polyester resin sections that it is replacing. Even if it's a bit heavier, it won't cause a problem.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:52 am

I'll have a word with Ron about the type IX.

The metal work is etched in nickel silver, and is 5 thou thick, with the deck being twice as thick at 10 thou. A GRP laminate or plastic moulding would need to be thicker than this for equivalent rigidity, I would think at least four to five times if you had a pefect epoxy glass laminate e.g. vacuum bagged, and thicker still for a hand laminate and or one done in polyester resin.

I would estimate a GRP equivalent to weigh about two thirds of the metalwork, but it would displace at least four times the amount of water to submerge, and that means bigger tanks. Stability coudl be a problem, but this boat allows plenty of lead in the keel to correct any issues there.

Ron is using two piston tanks of his own manufacture in this boat, displacing about 3 pounds (1.4kg) each. Which is quite a modest displacement for a tub this size.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to General