Banner Ad 1

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby P Webster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 am

Hi all,
I from downunder in Victoria, Australia and although I have had a long time interest in modelling, I started out in Free Flight Aircraft mainly "Old Timers", that was in the very early sixties, and now I are one. The next thing was N scale trains which I still do but have switched to On30 scale.I started in model boats about 10 years ago with a mate that I met in the local railroad club. I was building mainly scale with some fun type boats also. I built my first semi scale "germanic" style dynamic diver sub with some limited success but it inspired me onto better and bigger things so I am about to order an Engel Type IX sub kit from Germany. I have just joined the Sub Committee in the hope that I may still be able to learn. It gets harder to retain info the older you get, I am now 62 but still working and on my cardiologist's advice to keep up model boating to help relax.I am married to a very understanding wife for the past 36 years and have 2 adult kids, one is still at home, how do you get rid of them posting.php?mode=post&f=4#
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Re: New Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 am

Hi Peter,

Welcome aboard! I know of someone in the UK who is selling an unbuilt Engel Type IX kit. There are a couple of small parts missing- the end bulkhead and lid for the pressure hull. These are easily made from sheet stock, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

The price was £500, quite a saving over a new kit from Engel. Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the seller.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 am

Welcome Peter!

You've definitely come to the right place for r/c submarines...there are a lot of very helpful people here. A number of us use Engel products, so should be able to provide some guidance if/when you find a need for some. Please feel free to share your experiences in your Type IX build project. All of us love to see what others are up to.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 am

Welcome aboard mate!
We have lots of opinions here and all of it helpful. I look forward to seeing your build here on SC. As far as getting a child out of the house, LOL, well that is beyond the scope of this site!
You may want to visit that cardiologist and share with him what is REALLY involved in getting a sub to work. At least for me there have been a few times my blood pressure has gone through the roof.
It sounds like you have a great sense of humor and the right mind set to build a fantastic sub!
Again welcome!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Return to General