Banner Ad 1

Greetings all

Place for general submarine conversation

Greetings all

Postby usdiver63 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 am

Howdy everyone! I was an avid modeler and rc junki for some time. Rc nitro and electric trucks mainly, but I have been pulled toward the boat and sub world. I have decided on the Russian typhoon as my first rc submarine and will make it a static diver. As for size, and most will think me insane but I enjoy the challenge, will be a 1/72 scale. Yes this boat will be a leviathan of size.

I started with research and began with the plans found on the Internet. But oh the problems with these plans! So many tiny measurements and calculations to find the proper size. So I thought to my self, if I had to scale plans this would be much easier and be a fine wall mount later on. After talking with a friend of mine we manufactured these plans on his decal machine. In just a few hours the plans were complete. Two 8' long and 24" plans were plotted and printed, size of the paper not the actual drawing, showing the top and side view in such excellent detail. As well as a straight on diagram and another of various angles. I will be posting pictures of these later on this evening. My friend is also completely happy to do plans for others as well in what ever scale.

But I digress, this is my hello im here and look forward to your comments and advice as this project unfolds.
Dive well!
usdiver63

Re: Greetings all

Postby salmon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

Welcome!
Look forward to seeing your build!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 pm

There is a 1/72 Typhoon manufacturer in Australia, if I remember correctly. I should have some pictures of one of the Subcommittee guys at the regatta with one a few years back.
It would be infinately easier to buy a kit. But a scratch build is fun too.
Do you have my book? There are some typhoon pics in there.
http://www.russiansubmarines.info/viewc ... php5?id=11
(shameless plug ) :wink:
There is a lot of talent here to help you.
I have a little bit on the typhoon...
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby usdiver63 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Wayne Frey wrote:There is a 1/72 Typhoon manufacturer in Australia, if I remember correctly. I should have some pictures of one of the Subcommittee guys at the regatta with one a few years back.
It would be infinitely easier to buy a kit. But a scratch build is fun too.
Do you have my book? There are some typhoon pics in there.
http://www.russiansubmarines.info/viewc ... php5?id=11
(shameless plug ) :wink:
There is a lot of talent here to help you.
I have a little bit on the typhoon...

Thank you Wayne, and yes what a shameless plug for your book lol. Reminds me of Gene Simmions.
While i have looked at different kits abroad, which are no where near my current budget. I decided that scratch built will be ultimately more rewarding and challenging.

I look forward to all of the knowledge which will bestowed upon me through out this endeavor.

Dive Well
Jesse
usdiver63

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 pm

A 1/72 Typhoon at the 2007 Regatta

She's really large in 1/72.
I would like to see someone go for making a 1/96 kit of Thor's or Pete's quality kits.. A Nemisis to that Ohio kit.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:16 pm

Don't underestimate the handling of such a large boat. I've helped cart around a 1/100 scale Engel Typhoon, and that's enough of a back breaker, and requires two to get it in and out of the water.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General