Banner Ad 1

The September 2011 SubCommittee Report

Place for general submarine conversation

The September 2011 SubCommittee Report

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Folks,

I am pleased to announce the online availability of the full, 64-page, full color September SCR. Current members can download it from the SCR forum in the "members only" section of the forum. If you are an active member but are unable to see the members-only, please contact the webmaster, Ronald van Aalst (forum name: raalst) to have your forum account modified to be part of the SC members group. That'll get you to the SCR.

This SCR is in PDF format, which means that you can read it on your PC, tablet, etc. or you can print it out and read it where ever.

-enjoy!

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Re: The September 2011 SubCommittee Report

Postby salmon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 am

YES! Thank you! Now I can take my issues where ever I go!
This is great news!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tommydeen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 am

so Jeff thats means no more hard copys to be mailed out?
Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 am

Tom,

Unless there is a change in the financials for printing and mailing, that is correct. With the membership rate now set at US$15 world-wide, there is an expectation that the membership will increase, so who knows what may happen....

-Jeff

p.s. Don't forget that the PDF file can be printed....so a hardcopy is still possible. :)
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Wow,that sucks. :( :( :(

TD
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Scott T » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 pm

The issue looks great. Kind of hard to drag the computer to my favorite reading spots though, but I will get over that.

there is an expectation that the membership will increase, so who knows what may happen....

-Jeff

Do you think we need a promotion that shows what part of the new SCR looks like to grow this membership?
Do we have any paying members who are currently not on the web?
Can they go to their local library computer and download a copy?
Can a area be made on this site designated for SCR download?
How about a issue button on the home page screen that takes you to the download site?

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Scott T wrote:The issue looks great. Kind of hard to drag the computer to my favorite reading spots though, but I will get over that.
The PDF of the SCR can be printed on your home printer and then taken anywhere. :)

Scott T wrote:Do you think we need a promotion that shows what part of the new SCR looks like to grow this membership?
There has been some discussion about doing just that. Probably making the December issue a publically available download to show folks all the good things that going to an electronic (PDF) format brings.

Scott T wrote:Do we have any paying members who are currently not on the web?
That's almost a given. There is no 'enforcement' of an SC member advertising that they are members on the forum. It's been entirely voluntary. All it takes is a request to the forum administrator (along with their membership number and forum name) to get the change done.

Scott T wrote:Can they go to their local library computer and download a copy?
Yes, anywhere that you can reach the forum works.

Scott T wrote:Can a area be made on this site designated for SCR download?
A members-only forum has already been created to do this! Here's where it can be found: http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69

Scott T wrote:How about a issue button on the home page screen that takes you to the download site?
That's a great idea! I'll ask our webmaster how we can best do this.

-many thanks for the great questions. I hope the answers have been helpful,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:53 pm

I think this is a good move and I am sure it was not done without a lot of discussion. The benefit of reduced annual membership costs plus the SCR is now not limited to x number of pages are great points to bring in new members (and I hope to retain members or have others return). Thank you for making the tough choices.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby packard400 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm

As a long time member of the SubCommittee, I thought the switch to an electronic version
of the SubCommittee Report might be a good idea. I was wrong. My attempts to gain access
to the SCR have been unsuccessful due to my inability to join the main website. The only
way to become a member of the website seems to be to pay to become a member of the
SubCommittee. I'M ALREADY A MEMBER!
At least 2 e-mails to the Membership Chairman and one to the "contact us" section of
the main website have gone unanswered. To quote the play "1776";

"Is anybody there? Does anybody care?"

The SubCommittee Report is one of the main reasons I am still a member of the SubCommitte
after these many years. If I no longer can receive the SCR, there is little point to remaining a member.
I hope someone can help me with this problem before my membership runs out, otherwise I won't
renew it.

Mark Curatolo
packard400
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Mark,

Who have you tried to contact to assist you? I recall no e-mail, PM, or forum posting asking for assistance....?

To start, it is not a requirement that you have an account on the main web site. All you need is your forum account and to have it set to the "SubCommittee Member 2011" group. This setting allows you to see the member's only forums, which is where you can then access the download link for the September SCR.

I see that your forum account is not properly set, so what we need you to do is to send an e-mail to Don Osler (dosler@frontiernet.net) and provide him your forum name, your real name, and your SC membership number. That'll get your forum account properly updated.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

I checked the membership list copy I have and since both real name and forum name are in your post, I already
enabled your forum account to access the members-only section, where the SCR can also be found.

without knowing both your real name (in the member adminstration) and the forum name we cannot
determine who is who. now we do we can proceed.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby packard400 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 pm

I thank you for your help, and for activating my account. Although you told me how
to activate my account myself, I'm not sure I could figure it out. By the way the
E-mail address I sent my inquiries to was membership@subcommittee.com.
Once again, thanks for your help.

With respect,
Mark Curatolo
packard400
SubCommittee Member

Return to General