Banner Ad 1

Blast from the past

Place for general submarine conversation

Blast from the past

Postby Al Nuci » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I thought someone may help ID the sub driver in this photo, the guy on the right with the white visor. The photo an oldie but goodie taken back in Aug,1983 at a South Jersey R/C model boat regatta had only one submariner participating, which probably wasn't all that uncommon at that time.

The sub a possible 32nd parallel U-boat was equiped with a torpedo firing system, and if memory serves me it took a second transmitter to control all the functions on board.
I suspect you didn't get many channels on the radios back then, or at least enough to enable a torp system.
Al Nuci

Re: Blast from the past

Postby Wheels » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 am

I believe it's Bud Leder and it did have torpedoes that launched.

Thanks
Jim
Jim Wheeler....."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Wheels
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Bud's on the left in the trademark hip-waders! I don't think he goes anywhere without 'em!

B^)
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:02 pm

Yep, that's definitely Bud Lederer. The site is Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ and the occasion is the 2nd Raceway Park regatta. I know the guy on the right but I just can't recall his name right now. It'll come to me, though.
This site ranks no lower than the 3rd best place to run subs I've ever been to. Crystal clear water, light, sandy bottom, average of 4-5 feet deep, and NO SPECTATORS constantly asking all the usual questions. The pond sits between the dragstrip and an airport runway and access was limited to those who parked their airplanes there. I spent a whole heck of a lot of time there. Sadly, it's gone now.

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby Al Nuci » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks guys,

Yes, there was an airport nearby, as shown in these photo's.

Al Nuci

Postby greenman407 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 am

Hey Al! Did you take those pictures? If you did then youve been doing this a long , long time. Back then I was hopping up cars and trying to dodge the Highway Patrol.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Al Nuci » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Actually, I was looking for something to do the weekend of the Regatta event, and like many curious spectators, asked a few questions, but was there basically to get a feel for R/C boats, when I observed the gentleman running his U-Boat. I came away with a feeling of exuberance. : ) However, admitingly I too had a greater interest for fast car's, fast women, and liquor,not necessarily in that order back in the yesteryear, even owned a few of the basic muscle cars, racing them at Atco dragway there in N.J.,but that's another story in the naked city.
Al Nuci

Postby Skip Asay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Atco Dragway. There's a name I haven't heard for many a year. I spent a lot of time there, as well, from @ '63 through '72. You know. Back in the Stone Age.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby Al Nuci » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

We probably passed one another in the pits at one time or another if you did any racing.

Remenbers the radio anouncements played during the week.
" Saturday Night! Saturday Night! ATCO Dragway, 1/4 mile East exit #30, 1000 Jackson Rd. ATCO N.J. Stock car eliminations begin at 7P, " BE THERE " :lol:

Hell! They advertised so much I heard it in my sleep. Oh! Btw, They're still racing there, noted to be the oldest speedway in N.J. opening in 1960.
Al Nuci

Postby Skip Asay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:20 pm

"if you did any racing"

Heck, I've traveled all over these United States with a variety of cars, all small block Chevrolets. I never heard the Atco radio commercials since Middletown was outside their range. Now Raceway Park commercials are a whole 'nuther thing, though. You could definitely say that I was "dyed in the wool", though. I remember many a weekend going to "the patch" (Island Dragway in north Jersey) Saturday night, Raceway Park in Englishtown Sunday AM and then beatin' feet down to Atco for Sunday night. And there were a number of times that I won all three!
Except for a couple of weekends after, I essentially finished my racing career at the WCS meet at Atco in '72. I went out on top, though. I won Super Stock Eliminator at that one.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby Al Nuci » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Funny you didn't hear all the radio ads in Middletown, they were constant across the river in Philly. Hey, then you went on to win all the sub regatta's, you've got quite a repertoire there skip. Good job!

I guess we better get back to boat stuff, before we catch hell from someone!, but It's all good.

Regards, Al Nuci
Al Nuci

Return to General