Banner Ad 1

Charlie Callas.....bubblehead?

Place for general submarine conversation

Charlie Callas.....bubblehead?

Postby Skip Asay » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 pm

It is with great sadness that I read of the passing of comedian Charlie Callas yesterday. What few people know is that Charlie was a dedicated bubblehead, just like the rest of us. In 1990, Charlie bought my Type XXIII which he then enjoyed for the next 11 years. Then, with age taking its toll, I built him a "Charlie proof" Albacore since the XXIII was too large and heavy for him. "Charlie proof" stemmed from the fact that, although he absolutely loved playing, he was somewhat "lost" when it came time to work on it.

But what is even more memorable about him was the relationship he enjoyed with his wife, Eve. Charlie never went anywhere without Eve, and I'm quite sure the opposite applied, as well. On numerous occasions, I would ask Charlie how much time the two of them had been apart since they had been married. He would think for a minute and then..."six months, 3 weeks, 2 days, and (after looking at his watch) 3 hours. Later that same day, I would ask Eve the same question and she would disagree with Charlie only in the amount of hours. Seeing them together was always a joy.

Gone but certainly not forgotten.

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Re: Charlie Callas.....bubblehead?

Postby Virg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Skip,

It was nice of you to write about Charlie passing. I always liked him and, as you said, I also heard he was a true gentleman.

The only thing I find a little strange is the fact that I've never seen any pictures of him and his submarine. Do you have any that you could post?

Best regards,

Virg
Virg
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:47 pm

As far as pictures are concerned, the only one I have was taken the night he picked up the XXIII but Bud Lederer has some, I'm pretty sure. I'll scan the one I have tonight and see if I can get Bud to send me some of his.

Charlie was funny in that he would not attend any events at all. I'm speaking specifically of the SubRegattas in Groton. My read on that is that is that he would feel pressured to "do his thing". But, since he loved eating at the Pilot House (a restaurant in Brick, NJ), they would come down every once in a while and we would eat. But, each time, he would be in a different personna (very proper Englishman, stern Nazi officer, drunkard, five year old, etc.). I used to love watching the reactions of the other patrons.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby Bigdave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Sorry to hear that Skip.
I remember you talking fondly of Charlie having your XXIII.
I guess there is a little Bubblehead in everybody. :wink: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm

I remember meeting Charlie Callas back in the early '70's during one of my high school "stage band" gigs, this one in Cherry Hill, NJ. It turned out that he was performing that same night we were. We met him in the bar after he had done his routine and before we were to go on stage. He struck up a conversation with us, clearly interested in what a bunch a kids were doing there. We had such a great time talking with him that someone had to come find us when it was time to go on stage. He treated us quite nicely and we left with with regrets that we had to leave.

Truly a great person.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby GreyAkula52 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Did He Not Become A Regular On Johnny Carson's Show?
He Was Good.......
Andre S. Burgess, P.E.
GreyAkula52
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Charlie appeared fairly regularly until a skit went bad and Johnny ended up on the floor. Charlie was never allowed back as a result. So the story goes, at any rate.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Return to General