Banner Ad 1

Just a passing thought

Place for general submarine conversation

Just a passing thought

Postby spongjim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 pm

I have been reading alot of threads recently about how our hobby is on the decline and no one new is coming into this field. I spend way too much time in the local hobby shop and meet alot of people who dont know our hobby even exsists but when they find out it does they want to learn more. Well why couldnt the sub committee come up with a official website decal,something like the decal I had on my truck with a logo like proud member or official member of the sub committee with the web address for the committee on it . Memberes could display it on their automobiles or anywhere potential NEW MEMBERS could see it and think to them selves what or who is the sub committe and would know where to look to find out. I know a few out there are going to call me out on this one and say hell Jim you are not a member ,but I join every year in at the regatta , so yes I am I just join late . Real late !
Mike ,Tim I think I owe you both a sticker like the one I had made up for my truck ,I will be adding a little more to yours and to my new sticker if thats ok with you. Like I said it was just a thought and Myles I hope I am not over stepping my bounds, I just thought it would help some.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Re: Just a passing thought

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Jim! Your not even a paying member?

I would put that on the truck. Heck the AMA does it as part of their membership.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby tabledancer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the thought here I thought that you forgot about me.Anyway thats a great idea about the window sticker,I`ve thought about it a few times but I can`t seem to get any support.I would try in on my own but I don`t have the resources to take on such a project.If you would want to I would support it anyway that I could.

I belong to a few different groups and have a few window stickers and beleive it or not I have recruited new members just by having the sticker in plain sight on my truck.Oh bye the way that doesn`t include "LOT LIZARDS"if anybody has see that sticker on my truck!!!!!

TD :wink: :lol: :lol:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby tabledancer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Jim,
Don`t make that sticker to big,it won`t fit on my little truck.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:49 pm

In all truth I believe there are far more people enjoying this hobby than there were years ago.

What makes me say this. Well look at the product range out there, I've never seen so many good quality kits available, not to mention all the fantastic electronics especially for submarines.

Do you think companies would bother developing and producing this stuff if it didn't sell?

So who is buying it, and where are they?

The question that needs to be asked is, are people more reluctant to join clubs and societies in this hobby, and if so, why?

My personal belief is that the internet has made a massive impact on niche sectors like submarines. 10-15 years ago, if you wanted to find out about this hobby and where to get the things needed to make a successful model submarine, save for a few articles that appeared in major publications, the various organisations were the only way to go about it.

Now you have a dozen or more forums, most of which you can join for free, where you can get excellent advice. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

How do you counter that. With difficulty I'd say. One way is to look at ways of reducing the cost of membership (electronic SCR anyone?). Another is to offer things as an organisation that the internet cannot.

If you're part of a chapter, consider organising a fun run, dive-in etc. Swimming pools are ideal, but if you can't get access to one of those, then look for a good lake or pond.

How many chapters in the Sub Committee are genuinely active? Some are excellent, holding regular events, others you never hear a peep from.

As Fox schedule editor I know who I get articles from and who I don't. If your chapter is in the Doldrums, try and think of some ways to stir back in the fire.

As regards stickers, most people have colour printers these days, or at least access to one. Make a flyer up and poke it in the window of your car- job done!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby spongjim » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Print up a flyer and put it in your window ,come on the sub committee has members world wide.
Never mind I am done .Good Bye.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Do I still get a sticker?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 am

Yep. I'm a worldwide member.

Problem with anything like stickers etc. is that they cost quite a bit of cash to have made-up. How many people will buy one? My thoughts are that a couple of dozen members may cough-up, then the other 6-700 will sit there gathering dust on a shelf.

Second question. Any particular reason for not being a member?

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 am

Jim always pays his dues. He just joins late in the season.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby spongjim » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 am

You will not have to worry about my membership anymore . I will not be coming back and this will be the very last time I post anything here EVER!!!

GOODBYE!!!
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 am

That's a pity, Jim. Take care.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm obviously missing something here. What caused Jim to bail out so suddenly?

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby fgroza » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 pm

I too must have missed something. Jim is a great guy with a fleet of beautiful boats. I hope this gets worked out with whoever is involved.
Frank
fgroza

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Jim's idea is good -
I have thought the same thing for at least 10 years - bumper sticker or window cling decal with a simple logo and "Radio Controlled Model Submarines. www.subcommittee.com" Then send one with the first SCR issue of the year.

Unfortunately - in checking with the printers I work with in my job - unless you buy several thousand - you are talking $2 or $3 each. I even asked the outfit who was printing the SCR at that time - who also did business with me at work - they couldn't give a discount for stickers.

I wonder if the current SCR printer could do something?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 am

Something for you all to try.

Go to Google, and type in 'Model Submarines' in the search box.

See if you can find a link to our website.

I'm not sure if it was my remarks that prompted Jim's departure, I hope not, as I've enjoyed reading Jim's posts in the past, and my remarks weren't aimed at him personally.

The nature of debate is that there will be those who advocate in favour of or against any idea.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General