Banner Ad 1

Need help with the Sc Website

Place for general submarine conversation

Need help with the Sc Website

Postby Myles Yancey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone

We need to have the following discussion:

We need to find people who wish to help keep the Website up and running,
we mite even need to find a new webmaster and administrator for the website.

Thanks Myles
If you are not part of the solution to a problem then say nothing at all
Myles Yancey

Re: Need help with the Sc Website

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

Myles, I enjoy posting to the website but Im afraid that my knowledge of any other such things is limited. The spirit is willing but the brain is weak. :)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 am

Who were the guys that built the SubComOn website? Looks like they have a pretty good handle on things.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

What is the current state of the site and what is the estimated workload. There have been rumours for years about a new site being rolled out, is that still planned and if so can the amount of time expected to keep it running increase.

Also how relevent is the site anymore, do the webstatics show it is hit a lot or not?

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 am

The guy who made the subcomon website is also the membership chairman. He may have his hands full already.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby gantu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I deram from one big submarine forum and not such much better to handle?
Gantu
gantu

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:09 am

I agree that the sum would be greater than the parts.

Unfortunately, as has been proved so often in the past, on this forum and others, individuals in this hobby have very different philosophies in life, which often results in a breakdown in cordiality between parties.

As a long standing SC member, I think it would be beneficial to this forum and the hobby as a whole if the members only sections were opened back up to registered forum members, I think it would also lighten the load on the forum administrator.

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

Just to clarify my earlier statement.

"Also how relevent is the site anymore, do the webstatics show it is hit a lot or not?"

I was referring to the static content at www.subcommittee.com and not the forums. What kind of traffic is it seeing. The "webstatistics" should give you a complete breakdown how often it is being looked at, and what appears to be the most relevent content.

The monthly breakdown should provide detail into what is content is popular and what isn't, or at least reveal if the user base is increasing or decreasing.

I kinda agree with the above statement that the hobby is getting fractured on the forum basis, and for my part have simply just stopped posting with the rare exceptions.

Right now the ask for help seems a little loose. Firm up some details, scope the work, and identify the need. Time is a rare commodity for me, so without any specific details am hesitant to even consider it ... I imagine I may not be the only one in that boat.

Cheers
BC
bcliffe

Postby Myles Yancey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

This information was posted by Jeff under Sc Business which most of you can not access this area, I think it will help answer some of your question and help you in making a decision to help out.

This has come up because the web site has been "in progress" for an update and/or complete makeover for several years and there hasn't been any progress of note. For all practical purposes, the web site has ceased to be an asset to the SubCommittee (unlike the forum) due to a very aged content.

The forum is in much better shape with respect to Ronald's care-taking, but there are times when he is not able to respond in time to deal with problems, so I think it may be a good idea to get an assistant for him.

I would also like to say one or two people can not do everything that is required to keep the forum up and running and update it also others have to get involved in-order to help keep running and get it update to meet the modern needs of our members due to the improvements and advancements in the technology we use today.

Thank you
-Jeff & Myles
Myles Yancey

Postby Myles Yancey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Sub culture wrote:I agree that the sum would be greater than the parts.

Unfortunately, as has been proved so often in the past, on this forum and others, individuals in this hobby have very different philosophies in life, which often results in a breakdown in cordiality between parties.

As a long standing SC member, I think it would be beneficial to this forum and the hobby as a whole if the members only sections were opened back up to registered forum members, I think it would also lighten the load on the forum administrator.

Andy

Hi Sub Culture

I am sorry but we have members who do not agree with you about this particular request, so I have to support what the membership wants.

Thank You
Myles
Myles Yancey

Postby bcliffe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am

Myles Yancey wrote:This has come up because the web site has been "in progress" for an update and/or complete makeover for several years and there hasn't been any progress of note. For all practical purposes, the web site has ceased to be an asset to the SubCommittee (unlike the forum) due to a very aged content.

So then just to be clear, the ask in question is the entire makeover of www.subcommittee.com to the social networking software suite www.joomla.org ?

But you are looking for help with the makeover and not simple maintance, which implies a higher time commitement.

At what stage is this project, has content been identified, a layout sketched up? Perhaps identifying the estimated hours may help.

Cheers
BC
bcliffe

Postby raalst » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 pm

it is about getting a new website off the ground.
maintenance is low (though tiring).
I choose Joomla as a basis for the new website because we can combine the user-ID's of forum and
website that way (joomla has no good forum itself so we are stuck with integrating the forum I guess).

In my view, what needs to be done still :

- finish graphical design (look and feel, by me..)
- review/decide structure and content of whatever we want to put on the website
- move data into the new website
- decide how to spread workload as now members and SC people can update their own
parts of the website.
- invite, educate and help members start adding e.g. their own buildlogs

as for hours left to go, I have no idea..

One immediate boon for the SC is that we could cancel a hosting contract, saving money.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Greater symbiosis between the forum and the main website would be fantastic.

I think it would be nice to see a somewhat 'cleaner' home page. At the moment I think there is far too much text on the home page. A clearer more upfront menu system would enchance usability of the site.

A small point, but is it not possible to change the URL of the forum to match up with the rest of the site? e.g. http://www.subcommittee.com/forum

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General