Banner Ad 1

Gearbox suppliers in uk or the Eu????

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Gearbox suppliers in uk or the Eu????

Postby Wheelerdealer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:27 pm

You'll need to wait to see how thick the layup is on the Alfa hull when you get it. If its laid up the same way as the new Tarafalgars Sheerline sell then 1 or 1.5l ballast tank should be plenty as long as you go for a samll diameter WTC placed low in the hull.
http://www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Adz131 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi,

Ramesh.

I've spoken to chris he's doing the same layup as for Al's boat
Heavier lower hull and light weight upper.

Chris setup Al's boat with following,

The answer is plenty of buoyancy in the dive unit, lots of weight low down, higher pump pressures with twin pumps chucking out 22psi at higher flow rates and a lighter top hull half. This way you will get a boat which sits proud out of the water when blown, 40-45 sec dive time coupled with stability when submerged. Main batteries either side of wtc.

Above based on sheerline Dive module and reworked by chris as you already no.

I dont no what it is a just like tanks.

I need to get hold of Al and ask what the capacity is for his module/pump section litre wise and work out from there.
And if the 720bb motor is enough or would more be over kill??

Trying to work this all out Asap as i plan on buying as much as i can Electrical/Component wise this year. I'll be damned if im coughing up 20% vat. hurts just 17.5%... lol

adam
Adz131

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Nothing wrong with a piston-based ballast system for a boat of that size. The freeboard on that Alfa doesn't hold a candle to a similarly sized Gato fleetboat.

For something of that size you will want to use two pistons, each point in opposite directions.....this to maintain a constant c.g. as the tanks fill.

I wouldn't be surprised if a pair of 500ml pistons would suffice, depending on the displacement (not weight) of the parts above the waterline.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Adz131 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Sub culture wrote:Wouldn't use a pressurized centre module. Use a vented tank water pump system- that way no exposed water surface, which is an inherent disadvantage of the pressurized system.

Andy top suggestion. Sorry i had to delv into internet to remind myself on possible ballast systems.

So central tank Vented at top> Which would drop the hull to below waterline and then rely on tanks to do the rest.
And if i purchased the 825mlTmax system i would have a fair amount of control over the sub.

Also need some advice regarding pnuematics or some other setup for following> Fore planes i need to be able to retract them inside the hull and of course operate them. they dont swing inwards like akula/Typhoon. but retract and the planes retract 1 on top of the other. Ramesh how about a pick of mechanism if you would be so kind im still getting to grips just typing and surfing. dont no about posting pic's. :wink:

Also if Either Ramesh or Andy, Have Al's phone number or email you could maybe pm me the details???

regards
adam
Adz131

Postby Wheelerdealer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Adz131 wrote:The answer is plenty of buoyancy in the dive unit, lots of weight low down, higher pump pressures with twin pumps chucking out 22psi at higher flow rates and a lighter top hull half. This way you will get a boat which sits proud out of the water when blown, 40-45 sec dive time coupled with stability when submerged. Main batteries either side of wtc.adam

This is rather inefficient. You want a WTC as small as you can get away with and the bouancy as far latteral on the hulls as you can manage (in the form of foam or some other bouyant box section just below the surface waterline) rather than all in the mid line, in an already wide boat, for stability. Then as Jeff suggest, just 1L of ballast may do (depending on the lay up). Other wise you will end up with a 65-70lb boat.
Al is on the Dive In Face bookpage, you can PM him from there http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133360626703083
http://www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Adz131 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi ramesh,

Quote was from email chris sent me.
Re lay up it's going to be same as Al's.
Al's boat needs 60/67Lb
And there is no foam inside her.

Info from prop shop> Prop is 110mm/ there is the option of 5/6/7 Blade, Resonable price as well. and im thinking brushless motor i've got the epicyclic gearbox now with 3:1 ratio so no point buying it and not using it.

As small as possible wtc,
Thinking 115mm x what ever length required, From memory Al's beast is 150mm x unsure.
I could copy the system Al's has but i just like the control of piston tanks. and tbh i hate the sub surfacing without some sort of control. and to be fair there not that expensive to purchase.

750ml system xp tmax 531 euro's of engel site
825ml same system 532 euros + shipping.

adam
Adz131

Previous

Return to General