Banner Ad 1

Dutch Zeeleeuw(2)

Place for general submarine conversation

Dutch Zeeleeuw(2)

Postby greenman407 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:30 am

When I first saw this picture I thought it was a German type 212 from the stern , seeing that it had an x- tail. Upon further review I discovered that it is a Dutch submarine called the "Zeeleeuw(2)". It is a Walrus class launched in 1987 and was still in service as of 2008.

Pictured here with the Ark Royal in Feb. 2002
Shown here during exercises with a British Frigate . It was flying the flag of the Jolly Rogers in order to provoke the attacker.
Image Shown here during modifacations. You can see the mounting points and there shafts for the x-tail stub wings and also a access hole in the hull to remove or add equipment. If you look through the hole I see evidence of a double hull. What about you?

Good view of the sail with the Snort exhaust diffuser and the dude with the gun. If trials are succesful they will be installed on the fleet.
Last edited by greenman407 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Re: Dutch Zeeleeuw(2)

Postby greenman407 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 am

An awesome picture of her visiting New York in May of 2000. You can see the Twin Towers in the background.

Image A good view of the waterline. A good shot for all you skum line modelers out there.

Image Zeeleeuw(2) shown with her sister boat "Bruinvis"
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Robert F. » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 pm

This excellent class of subs consists of four units: Walrus, Zeeleeuw, Dolfijn and Bruinvis, all of which are still in active service.

The class is an improved type of the earlier Zwaardvis class, consisting of the nameship and Tijgerhaai. Both classes are/were widely considered the most advanced non-nuclear powered subs of their generation.

This is a nice shot of a Walrus class sub practicing an emergency surfacing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yas33x6iutQ

And yes, the subs are indeed of the double-hull type.

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for your contribution there Robert. I havent had time yet to add any stats to this post. If you would like, Feel free. Thats what we need on the Subcommittee, more particapation. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Another view from drydock
greenman407

Return to General