Banner Ad 1

Plans for Type XXI Uboat?

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Plans for Type XXI Uboat?

Postby Albion » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:00 am

modelnut wrote: I am all set to making this boat in 72nd scale!

A lot of people will be interested in this
Albion

Postby modelnut » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Well. If anyone wants to PM me with their email address I will send you what I have been freely given. But I am a newb at this. There is no way I can manufacture multiple hulls. I have these plans, the 144th scale Revell kit and Steve Neill's "RC Submarines for Dumb Asses". With this I am pretty sure I can make one Type XXI in 72nd scale. But I don't know how long it will take me. I am working on Jules Vernes' NAUTILUS this week. I will going plank-on-frame or thereabouts with her. I will save the lost foam method for the U-boat's more complex hull.

BTW, does anyone remember who built that +10-foot long XXI I saw in the SCR years ago when I first joined???

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

By gum! I think this is the one, Mike Dorey's Type XXI. At 32 scale that would be in the order of 94.5 inches. That's 7 feet 10.5 inches. A respectable size I'm thinkin'. 8)

But too big for me.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby bigjimslade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Would anyone happened to have good quality scans from Kolh's Anatomy of a Ship they'd be willing to share.

I am mainly interested in the section's around pp. 80-84 (would take whatever or more)

I have the book but my scanner has been giving me problems.
bigjimslade

Postby Ralph --- SSBN 598 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Don't have the book but a good photo from a camera can be loaded to computer and resized as needed and printed out.
Ralph --- SSBN 598

Postby tompinnell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 am

Hi I have some plans what are you after in particular? I'm building a 1:32 scale one at the moment
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby bigjimslade » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm doing a 3D solid model. Normally I work the the table of offsets for the shape. The book gives dimensions but few measurements for shapes. While this may sound anal, if you're not really precise you get ripples. There's no sandpaper in the computer.

Cross sections are my main need (Hull and conning tower). If worst comes to worst I might be able to go to staples and get scans done. I've done that for sheets many times before but but I don't know how well they do with books.

Thanks,

J
bigjimslade

Postby tompinnell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I have this I can scan and make into PDF, just don't know how that comes off copyright wise?? Won't cost anything to do so don't want any money to do that. Failing that German ebay search for Planmappe Uboottyp XXI, (U-Boot-Typ Modellbau-Pläne, Planblätter) -NEU- and that is for a full set of Fritz Khol drawings

tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby bigjimslade » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks, those are what I have. I was hoping someone would have them scanned already. I don't want to put someone up to doing the labor.

J.
bigjimslade

Previous

Return to General