Banner Ad 1

Build it big

Place for general submarine conversation

Build it big

Postby redboat219 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 am

I'm curious why some modelers nowadays are still building BIG models like 1/72 nukes or 1/32 WWII boats. It's understandable to see big boats 15-20 years ago cause the only available electronics then were "macro" size. Now we have pico servos and submicro RX. Shouldn't we be seeing more micro boats?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Re: Build it big

Postby tabledancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 am

Why!I like the big boats plus they are easier to work on.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Carcharadon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:39 pm

How else but to go for a ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sva4FPOnU80
Carcharadon

Postby Thor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 pm

I do not enjoy the small boats anymore! There is nothing like driving a big boat. They handle much more smoothly and realistically. The tiny little models bob around like a rubber duck in a tub and really are only suitable for use in a pool or other small body of water. I have nothing but a large pond to operate in and the size of the model directly impacts its ability to handle the normal disturbances in a larger body of water. In addition, you can add so much more detail to a large boat it makes the build process much more enjoyable for me. The larger models are also easier to work on. You don't need micro tools and a hemostat to make repairs or extract components. The last reason is due to age. My eyes don't work as well as they used to. I can't work up close as well as I used to be able to! I think there will always be a place for these large models, and the small ones as well...
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Thor wrote:There is nothing like driving a big boat. They handle much more smoothly and realistically. The tiny little models bob around like a rubber duck in a tub and really are only suitable for use in a pool or other small body of water. ..... In addition, you can add so much more detail to a large boat it makes the build process much more enjoyable for me. ......

What Matt said!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Ditto that. I've driven both and don't have one small one left. They're a pain to work on and bob like corks in even a slight ripple.

Sure, big subs are harder to transport, but they're twice as fun to operate and twice as easy to work on.

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby GreyAkula52 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I Personally Like 1/48 Scale Boats..... They Are The Perfect Compromise Of Size and Proportion For The "Scale Enthusiast" And Spectator.
When I Run My Alpha It Looks "Great On the Water". When the Sky Is Overcast The Boat Appears To Run In It's "Element".
A Sight You Have To See To Believe. My 1/48 Scale Akula (which is getting closer to launch) Will Be Amazing..... Simply By It's
Sheer Size. Some Have Seen My SeaWitch I and II And Marveled At The Models. At 100 Yards..... You Will Be Able To "SEE" Them. You Cannot Say About Smaller Scale Versions.
Now, I Must Admit. When Building Larger Boats.... You Must Build Strength Into The Boat Without Adding Weight. Remember,
All Weight Must Be Accounted For Either As Ballast Or Structural Integrity, Which Must Be "Floated"..... Or It Will Sink, Roll Over and Play Dead.
This You do Not Want.
Rules I Try To Incorporate, 1. Make Ballast Weight Minimal..... All Up Ballast Weight Must Be "Working Mass", ie ( Batteries * )
2. Make Floating Volume Maximum (including Ballast Tank, Floatation Foam Or Enclosure (P/H Closed Volume *(sized))
3. Use the Best Components You Can ( ie. Motors, Speed Controllers, Servos, Misc Electronics )
4. Build For Ease Of Service. It's No Fun Having To Cut Into a Space Or Area Of Your Boat To Make Minor Alterations Or Repairs
And Sooner Or Later Repairs Will Be Needed.

Just My Bit After 30 Years Of Building.......
Capt. Andre
Andre S. Burgess, P.E.
GreyAkula52
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I started off with small boats and they're still my preferred size, but larger boats definitely have their appeal when running in large, natural bodies of water. But then again, I run in artificial bodies of water almost exclusively, so I stick to smaller sizes.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tommydeen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 am

not only are the small boats harder to work on i have found they are harder to trim. after Ted build his 32p type VII it took
a short time to trim the boat out and even when it has air entrapment under the deck it still submerges and runs very scale like under the surface. on the other hand i have NEVER been able to get my alpha to trim or run submerged at a scale speed
let alone keep the water out of the WTC, it has been so frustrating that my sub projects are now shelved and collecting dust.
my alpha hasnt seen water in over three years.I know some of you guys would meet this with crossed fingers but i have been working on a british DD by deans marine why? because i have been having fun with it. my ideas have been working out
in the constuction. with my alpha it was one compromise after another and wound up with a boat that never ran right.

Matt what ever happend to the 1/48 fleet boat project you had going a few years ago? i would have bought one in a second!!
The bigger nuke boats are better in 1/72 scale even 1/48!
WWII boats 1/48 and 1/32
i just hope some of the vendors do some boats in larger scales.
Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby Feet Wet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 am

Is this big enough?

Needs a new paint job!
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 am

Tom,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with the Alfa! The old Alfa I had was one of the best running boats I ever had. Maybe strip out that old ballast system you have and give a new one a try! They have come a long way. PM me about this. I think We can get you set up with a unit that won't leak...

The 1/48th Gato WAHOO is still underway. It is a huge project and I get easily burned out on it so progress is slow. A 1/96 review model will be machined in the next couple of months and passed along to the team members for critique. If all goes well the 1/48th hull will be machined and we will be well on our way to completion.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 am

That not a sub, that's a torpedo :D
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby petn7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Tommydeen wrote:not only are the small boats harder to work on i have found they are harder to trim. after Ted build his 32p type VII it took
a short time to trim the boat out and even when it has air entrapment under the deck it still submerges and runs very scale like under the surface. on the other hand i have NEVER been able to get my alpha to trim or run submerged at a scale speed
let alone keep the water out of the WTC, it has been so frustrating that my sub projects are now shelved and collecting dust.
my alpha hasnt seen water in over three years.I know some of you guys would meet this with crossed fingers but i have been working on a british DD by deans marine why? because i have been having fun with it. my ideas have been working out
in the constuction. with my alpha it was one compromise after another and wound up with a boat that never ran right.

Matt what ever happend to the 1/48 fleet boat project you had going a few years ago? i would have bought one in a second!!
The bigger nuke boats are better in 1/72 scale even 1/48!
WWII boats 1/48 and 1/32
i just hope some of the vendors do some boats in larger scales.
Tom

I have not observed that at all. My 15 inch sub was a dream to trim (took no effort at all), but my 26 inch and 29 inch (give or take) subs have been much more difficult to trim. I've actually resorted to using ultra fast servos and pitch controllers to compensate.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Well, before I finished my 1/96 Ohio I would have thought big boats were just a hassle to move around. But after trimming out this bigger model of mine, which was easier to trim than my smaller ones, and seeing how stable it is, I'd have to say larger boats may be more rewarding and fun to drive.
And of course as Matt said, you can get so much more detail on the larger ones, and that's what makes the models really cool in my mind.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 am

Redboat219, now look what youve started! For scale like realism you cannot match the performance of a boat like my 63" Oscar. However my smallest boat is a 40" Albacore and it does very well despite its smaller size because of its mass( its Fat).Being so Fat it has a lot of weight to it when it fills with water so it laughs at the wind and waves found in the normal size pond. I just ordered a 36" Skydiver but I think it will do well also because it too has a lot of mass compared to a similar length Gato or nuke boat which are relatively slim.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Next

Return to General