Banner Ad 1

Museum sub

Place for general submarine conversation

Museum sub

Postby greenman407 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 am

I had the chance to visit New York city in 2002 about a year after the attacks. My wife had actually visited the towers two weeks before Sept. 11th 2001. So we returned to see the devastation and take in all the other sites. One of the things on the list was the Intrepid war museum on the river. There was the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier loaded down with all kinds of aircraft. The real treat however was docked right along side her. The USS Growler, number 577. She was designed and used as a guided missle carrier submarine with a huge hanger. I had the chance to go aboard and alot of the pictures presented here are the ones I took and some of them are from NAVSOURCE.

A Subroc missle/torpedo

There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Re: Museum sub

Postby greenman407 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 am

Here is more from Navsource.

Image Regulus missle being launched.

Image The Growler and the Greyback docked side by side.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Re: Museum sub

Postby greenman407 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 am

What a unique shape and design! It would be an excellent candidate for someone to make a master and turn out some hulls. So I am officially notifying the model submarine community that we need some of these in 1/72 or slightly bigger. :D Hurry up will you!

greenman407

Return to General