Banner Ad 1

Super Small Scale Submarine, Please Help If You Can

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Super Small Scale Submarine, Please Help If You Can

Postby Rtas Vaduum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Well I am going to state this now, I write ALOT. so please read through the message, and add some advice if you know of any. Than you guys so much.
P.S. If you need to see pictures, just ask, I'll get them.

I am hopingto find an expert on RC submarines, because I am starting a project that really has never been done before(or at least nobody has pictures, descriptions, or videos of this project ever being done). This is going to be a challenging build....I am building a RC conversion of a 1:350 scale Japanese Submarine, the I-400, or Sentoku class.

History On The I-400:
The I-400 was the largest submarine of it's time, and was not beat in length until the Ballistic nucleur subs of the 60's. Designed during WWII, it was to be the world's first true submarine aircraft carrier. Inside it's hanger sat three Achi Seiran Torpedo/Dive Bombers. Also in the sub was enough additional Seiran plane parts to build a forth plane.The hanger bay itself was 106ft long, that only takes up almost a third of the ship. It's total length was 400ft. Only three I-400's out of the five planned were completed before the war, and all three surrendered to American forces after receiving an order to. All three were taken to Hawaii to be studied, and later scuttled due to American wishes to prevent Russians from seeing them.

My Sub:
My I-400 is a Tamiya 1:350 scale precision model. It's hull is about 13 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1 inch tall. The hanger door opens, and closes up top of the hull, so I think I will put the recharging chord in there. I know how to do the propellers, the two rear engines, and how to seal the sub. I even have a planned ballast tank systems, which uses a box shape surrounding a small 1 x 2 inch ball(more like a subway sandwhich shape though).

The Problem:
I do not know how to get a small enough water pump that will fit inside the sub, in fact this is my first rc submarine, so if you know anything on where I can get a pump this small(somewhere arond a 1x 1inch square, or 1 x 2 inch rectangle) for my sub. And another issue, I'm not rich So I'm going to working with a budget of under $160.00 (p.s. I already spent $46.00 just getting the sub). I pretty much know what I'm doing with the RC chip, because I will use one from a Havoc Helli, Air Hogs Two way node. Is there anything Im missing for this submarine to work(sorry, I forget to mention the fact that I kind of do know what batteries I'm using too). Oh yeah what does the antenna connect too in the sub?

I hope to hear back from you, and if you don't know, could you please reffer to me someone who does. Thank you so much, oh yeah, I'm sorry for writing so much.
Rtas Vaduum

Re: Super Small Scale Submarine, Please Help If You Can

Postby Rtas Vaduum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:40 am

Hey it's me, I just feel like showing you all some real photo's of actual japanese I-400 Sentoku class submarines. Yes these are real WWII pictures that have been digitally restored, and digitally re-colored. I hope this gives you a feel to size of these submarines, and their sheer presence.
I'm sorry, but to show that these are real subs, and they are real WWII pics, I also uploaded a black and white photo from the 1940's aswell (This photo was taken in 1945).
To truly show the unique shape, I have a picture of the front (Bow), and the rear (Stern) ends of the sub.
I hope you like these pictures.
Rtas Vaduum

Postby Scott T » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Here is a thought about the heli radio:
Put the heli in some tuperware container and submerge it in a tub of water to see if the controls
will operate through water. The controls may be like the tv remote and use infra red lite waves.

The pictures are very cool.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby subkraft » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am

For what its worth, I recall seeing a magazine article somewhere that showed a super small scale sub converted from a plastic kit......there was no WTC, all the gear was in a condom sealed to an endcap thro which ran the linkages. I suppose the lubricant would .....no, not gonna even think about it.
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” ~ Albert Einstein.
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads