Banner Ad 1

Building fever

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Building fever

Postby spongjim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Well its been a week since the regatta . I picked up three hulls one OTW Hecht ,a type 202 very interesting little sub, and a 32nd Type VII. I started on the type VII right when I got home monday the top of the WTC had split and was coming apart from the hull.
Here is the top striped off and sides cleaned up some.
I got a new radio in it today ,took the pumps out and rebuilt them , cut out a new top for wtc and cut out two new clear caps for the wtc. She made a test run tonight in the tank all operations normal and pumps are working great. I will glass in the wtc top tomorrow night and she will be ready for some open water runs soon.
I hope to start on the Hecht later next week .
This should be a quick build I have a wtc and radio sitting on the shelf waiting to go in this sub.
The 202 I got from Skip will be a winter project ,I want to add alot of detail to this little sub .
I also got some repairs to do my XXIII and Alfa got crushed after the regatta sunday , I turned in the hotel parking lot and my tool box rolled over on top of both subs. Finally I have one more sub coming , I ordered a T-class last week . I should have a completely new fleet for the regatta next year.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

32nd P. Type V11, U-boat

Postby Mike Dory » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Howdy - Your boat looks like it was built using Simon's plans. That means your batteries will be in your WTC, Do please becareful and not use sealed lead aid type batteries that Simon's plans call for, inside your WTC. I'll tell you from my own experience, That the lid of your WTC dosen't look good imbedded in your ceiling, It dosent sit well with the lady of the house either. You didn't say which pumps you were using, However, if your using Simon's planes and they call for two R.V. water pumps. You may discover it dosen't take long for them to start leaking lying down as they are. I found I could replace them with two submersible bilge pumps, which I could put in the free flood area of the boat and there still working to this day (25 yrs. later) It's always good to see one of the older Type V11 still running well, When you consider all that they had to over come to look good and run at all, let alone this long. It shows the mark of a dedicated craftman. I wish you the very best in your refit......
Mike Dory.
Mike Dory

Re: Building fever

Postby xxl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm

nice boat
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Return to Builder Threads