Banner Ad 1

66" Disney Nautilus buildup (1/32 scale)

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

66" Disney Nautilus buildup (1/32 scale)

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Full details and writeup can be found on my website at http://www.rc-sub.com/CR_RCNautilus.html. Take everything that I say here with a grain of salt if your palate desires it. I am the marketing agent for Custom Replicas model kits, and as such have a particular fondness for the kits and it sometimes comes through in my writing. :nemo_lol:

I am in the process of documenting the entire build on video, and will make it available once the model has been completed and the footage edited. A similar video will be produced for the upcoming static display build as well. Stay tuned!

Project Background:

This model was commissioned as a full R/C version of Custom Replicas 1/32 scale Nautilus hull. The owner made particular emphasis on dependability and simplicity for the model, with aesthetics coming a near second place. After viewing my scratchbuilt project summary online, the design of this build was structured as closely as possible to it. The model will feature a fully detailed wheelhouse interior and fully functional LED lighting in all applicable exterior (and interior) locations. A full gas-based ballast system will take her below the waves, and she'll be propelled by the brand new (and as yet unreleased) authentic brass replica propeller.

The kit that this model is based off of is the venerable Generation II hull, which has ample details to satisfy the most demanding viewer. With such a huge scale, this model has enormously demanding presence on the water, being affected very little by ripples and wind that plague smaller submarine models.

The kit was received in excellent condition, undamaged from shipping due to a superb packaging job by the manufacturer.

After the parts were organized and the majority of the pieces deburred and sanded smooth, the first thing that I decided to tackle was the main access hatch for the model's electronics and linkages. I elected to make the hatch on the bottom of the sub rather than the top, as I detest unsightly seams being visible on my models while cruising the surface. As the Nautilus has tremendous details on the upper surface, it only made the decision that much easier to make. What this does mean, however, is that when accessing the internals, the model must be flipped over, which while not difficult in and of itself, does increase the odds of damage to details slightly. A custom cradle will be designed to make this process as simple and safe as possible.

In the following photo, you can see the large access hatch cut in the lower section of hull, and the lower section temporarily CA'd to the top awaiting reinforcement through a layer of fiberglass inside.

The rule of thumb with R/C subs is "keep the weight low and the flotation high". To that end, a generous amount of lead ballast was cut and installed in the conveniently hollow keel. Maintaining a large righting moment within the sub will ensure that she doesn't heel over too badly when at full throttle, and will be statically stable during dives and while cruising the surface. The weights you see here will be encased in resin shortly.

More to come very soon! Stay tuned!

:dance:
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am

Will this have a tiltable prop?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davinci » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Hello,
I plan to purchase and build this kit.
I have received a prop for it already.
Bob has 2 versions, brass and aluminum, but don't think there's a tiltable option for it.
I chose the alumunum one since it's lighter weight, and I was surprized how light it is.
(42. grams as received)
Attached are pictures of the prop as I received it. It needed sanding, drilling and balancing.

--------------------------------------------
* Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *
Davinci

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Andy,

I didn't see your post.. sorry for the delay.

Not tilting prop on this one. For the sake of simplicity and performance, my customer elected to go with the auxiliary planes such as the ones I put on my scratchbuilt model. They work amazingly well and are fully removable in case you wanted to display it as a static model.

I'm actually at the 99% complete mark right now. I've just got to install a new failsafe and a timer circuit for the emergency buoy that I engineered.

Here are a few pictures of her as she sits now. I'll have more photos and video up soon!

Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davinci » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Looking Great Bob :!:
Just the right amount of Rust. :D
I assume the item in this pic is a stern-Light, correct?
For some reason I've never noticed that in pictures of other models I've been checking.
Davinci

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:37 am

Whoa that thing looks tiny next to your viper model! :twisted:
pigeonfarmboy

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:45 am

The LED light just aft of the skiff berth is a matter of some discussion. There is a scene in the movie where a light there is distinctly seen, and for an R/C model, having a bright LED back there only helps with visibility, especially at dusk or at night!

Some quick stats:

Drive: 19V Globe Motor running on 14.4V direct drive.
WTC: Valterra clear polycarbonate sections, custom built
Ballast: gas style with servo actuation
Weight: 40lbs (est)
LOA: 66.5"
Lighting: 21 high output LEDs in white and green
ESC: ModelControllers (UK)
Radio: Polk Tracker III (6 channels)
Battery: 14.4V NiMh in twin 7.2V packs, 4500mAh capacity
Emergency Buoy: concealed in skiff, released on a 60 minute timer
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 am

pigeonfarmboy wrote:Whoa that thing looks tiny next to your viper model! :twisted:

LOL.. yep. And that was a particularly challenging build, as getting that supercharger mounted to a small scale model like that took a lot of time and some very tiny tweezers...
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davinci » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:32 am

Bob,
Very Interesting, the stern-light is a great idea.
I'd like to see more pics and info on the emergency-buoy when you get a chance.
As to how and where the line is stored, how long it is, how it's released, etc.
Thanks,
Davinci

Return to Builder Threads