Banner Ad 1

frequency for submarines

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

frequency for submarines

Postby Darksheer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi A little worried here I bought a 7 channel futaba radio in 2.4 GHz that the hobby store assured me would work on my robbe U47
now im reading posts with people saying that 2.4 cannot penetrate water at all
I just called the store again and told them this and they have informed me that its a different companies radio's that are having this problem not futaba

you guys are the experts

am I going to lose my sub the first time it submerges

any help would be appreciated
Darksheer

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 pm

The store don't know what they're talking about. Your radio will not work I'm afraid.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Nope...the 2.4GHz radios will not penetrate water. There's a reason that this is the same frequency used by microwaves!

I'd take the radio back for a refund. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Darksheer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

just spoke to the store and they are more than happy to exchange the radio system for me to what i need

so that now brings me to my next question

what do i need
what freq ???
whats best for a robbe U47
Darksheer

Postby Bigdave » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 pm

I am not sure what the Freq are in Canada, but in the USA only 75MHZ can be used for land or wated based R/C use. I am sure the guys in the northern subrons will know. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Darksheer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Bigdave wrote:I am not sure what the Freq are in Canada, but in the USA only 75MHZ can be used for land or wated based R/C use. I am sure the guys in the northern subrons will know. BD.

so anything on the 75 MHZ band ill be good with ??

any recommendations for radio's so i know what to ask for

the 2.4 i had cost me about 329.00
Darksheer

Postby aquadeep » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Ask about a Futaba 9 CAP or newer ,or JR 10X ,might take abit to get the ground freq from Futaba but 8 ch ground recievers are available ,30 model memory and a ton of easy programing along with switch to chanel sellection and audible nuetral points that are great for ESCs stop point.

Dual thraughtles can be used on single stick radio by just useing the side variable channels.

And self sensing recievers will also work.
And when your tired of running your sub its easy to go fly a chopper or plane by just changing the freq. module.
You will find the computer radio far more flexable and easy to use on multiple models. :D

Ask if the ground freq. module from a cars Futaba radio will work? I believe they are the same that I use.

Just my experiances.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Darksheer wrote:any recommendations for radio's so i know what to ask for

the 2.4 i had cost me about 329.00

If at all possible, get a radio with as many channels as you can afford. That will provide you with a couple of extra channels for future use....for things like periscopes, torpedoes, etc.

I do not know the current availability of the Polk radios, but their Tracker III would be part of my top list of radios. It's an 8-channel, computer-based, and synthesized RF unit. The price would be lower than what you paid. It's also available directly on surface frequencies.

Most of the radios with a good number of channels will only be available on air frequencies. A number of them can be converted (e.g. through Radio South) and some of them have modular RF units that allow for easy change. You probably should check in advance to make sure that a particular radio can be converted.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads