Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby greenman407 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 am

But Wayne, in all the pictures that I can find of the Akula the doors are obviously open and are folded up in plane view. The Oscar however all the doors appear to be closed down around the masts shaft as if they were closed again after the mast was extended.

Image However notice this picture from the scale ship website on the Oscar and you will see that he has already cut his mast doors out as if they are supposed to be open. I am confused. I dont know if I should cut them out or leave them closed and just drill a hole in them in the middle of the doors and just stick a mast in it. Or now that I look at it perhaps they fold down inside out of the way.

There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm

SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Ok then, from these pictures I can conclude that the Akulas doors open upwards and the Oscars doors open downward or should I say inward. So that means that I need to make a box for each mast well and install it first with the doors installed to the inside edges as if they are open and drill a whole in the bottom of the box to attach the mast through. Whew! Glad that we got that straight. :o :idea: :?: :!:
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

What we need is Kevin to post his amazing mast doors here. Impressive work I saw at the regatta. Very impressive.
How bout it, Kevin?
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:55 am

'Just caught on to this thread, nice work Mark.

Yes, the mast doors on the OSCAR drop down into the sail instead of folding out of the sail as on the AKULA. I'll take/dig up some photos and post on how I did my mast array with scale doors.

KMc
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks Kevin! :D
greenman407

Postby KevinMc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 am

Here's a sequence of photos that show the mast array on my OSCAR II in action. I put so much focus on getting the mechanics to work I've not yet gone back to finish off detailing the actual mast array. (And one of the antennas is missing the upper part.) It's really neat to see the whole thing work though. Just to keep a perspective on how small this mechanism is the opening for the smallest set of doors is roughly 1/4" x 1/4".

Doors closed, masts down. I noticed in photos of the full sized sub that they don't have doors for the small diameter masts, just the larger square ones, so that's how I built mine too. I also wanted to be somewhat selective about what masts I brought up as you don't generally see all the antennas up at once, but I still "faked out" the doors that I wasn't going to use to give the sail a more uniform look when everything was retracted.

Doors about half way open.

Doors now nearly completely open, masts starting to come up. You can't really tell from the photo, but the mast array has raised about 0.1" from it's bottom most position.

Doors fully open, masts about raised about 1".

Doors open, masts raised. The total travel on the mast array is about 3".

This mechanism operates freely enough that it's all driven from a single HS85 servo. The doors are driven with a magnetically coupled cam on the first 0.150" of travel of the mast array, which is coupled to the servo using bellcranks and levers.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 am

Kevin,

That is just too cool! Amazing work there.

John
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Kevin lets see it work or just pictures,that would be great!

Very nice work 8)

Dave Amur Ship yard :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Kevin, may I say that I expected nothing less from you! Very impressive to say the least. Mine will be nothing so elaborate. I will concentrate on getting all the masts installed with there own doors and inside compartments. Thanks. Now my next question is the 18 limber holes on each side of the Oscar that run from about the front of the sail to the end of it are spring loaded to open to spill out water and close when under way to reduce noise. Are these hinged at the top or at the bottom? I would like to render them in the partially open position but I need to know which way to place them. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks :)
greenman407

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:30 am

They pivot from the bottom
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks Wayne! :!: 8)
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Here is a shot of the epoxy job on the inside of the nose. Not too bad.
The next problem that confronted me was this.

Image It might be hard to see but the bottom hull half will need to be pushed out by internal stiffeners so that it doesnt fall into the top half. At this point there is no way to put the two halves together and they stay. To do this I bought a sheet of 1/8" abs to make my stiffeners. They will be epoxyed in with a mixture of microballoons and 30 min. epoxy. Also take note of this.

ImageOn parts of the hull it looks like there was not enough gel coat applied as you can clearly see the grain of the fiberglass cloth. I am not exactly sure what to do about it. Any suggestions??? :?
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Next I took a drill bit to open up the holes in the aft section so that we could fit the rudders,and planes.

If I didnt tell you what this picture was some of you might be hard pressed but its a shot of the inside of the stern section showing the control shafts from the rudders and planes and how they relate to each other.
ImageMy plan is this. The two stern planes are directly across from each other so it will be a simple matter of making a common shaft/connecter out of locking collars and a piece of brass tube with a control arm brazed to it. They will be controlled by one of the servo outputs of the WTC. The upper rudder will be also controlled by one of the other WTC control outputs. There are four in all. The lower dual rudders will be controlled by the third output and I will link the two together also using locking collars with control arms brazed on. The final output will be for the bow planes.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Im on a roll. Take a look at these.
Image Windshield frames and front window sills. What a time saver!!!

ImageWater intake scoop grills and sail grills for the right side. Cool!

Image The round object is the rear hatch detail, Oh baby , thrill me!

ImageThese are close ups of the hull supplied dress up kit. It includes mast doors ,cockpit doors and grill covers for limber holes as well as a lot of other goodies :D :wink:
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads