Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Scale Ship Oscar 2

Postby greenman407 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Image After using Bondo autobody fillers with limited success I decided to try Evercoat Metal Glaze. Amazing! Bondo( to me) tends to be sticky and clog up your sandpaper in a hurry. This stuff is not like that . I felt it was much more user friendly.

Image I used this small spatulla to apply the filler right where I wanted it.

Image I pilled it up pretty heavy here so that after sanding I wouldnt have to go back and put on more.

Image The success story. After installing the indexer and pins all of the misalignment is gone. After the application of the Evercoat the seam has disappeared. Now on to the longitudinal seam with the same treatment. However much care will need to be taken. Ill show you what I did soon.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok Dudes, On to the long seem. You can see how big it is, about an 1/8' wide and it goes down to zero at the bow.
But first you need to rough up the area. I made a tool to sand the area and so that I can final sand the evercoat afterwards to true it up.

This shows the area after I used a putty knife to "smoosh" in the evercoat. Then of course you strike off the excess.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Now, you would normally expect one to use a small xacto blade to cut thru it before it hardens to form your seem. I however resolved not to do that. Instead I employed an old painters trick. I coated the upper hull lip with Vaseline petrolium jelly. That way the evercoat/bondo wont stick to it. I experimented with it earlier to assure myself that it would release easily and not badly affect the strength of the evercoat. The advantage to using vaseline is that there is no seem.Its as close as one can possibly make it.

After a little sanding its perfect.
greenman407

Postby the dark knight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 pm

looking good! keep up the good work!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:39 am

For the purpose of holding the upper and lower hulls together I needed to add a screw holding device near the front. Since it is now configured with a Z cut and has indexing pins in the back. one screw in the front will do it. Mcmaster and Carr sells these captive nuts.

You pull them into the material by tightening up a screw thru it , thus pulling the splined portion of the nut into the plastic or whatever. After setting it ,if you knock it out you can see the imprint that it leaves. A drop of thin CA will soak in and decrease the chances that it could ever come out.
I didnt want a phillips screw head to be visible so I went up from the keel about 45 degrees and put a allen screw there. All thats left to do is grind down the head so that it doesnt protrude. :)
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry, its been a while. I wanted to update this build. The problem with this boat is that there are alot of mismatch at the seems of the stern section and some delamination spots. Also the seems on the bow where I epoxied it together at the Z cut had to be addressed. Finally the cooling scoops needed to be attached. They looked like they would break off very easily. So I installed them with two small screws and CA to seal it.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I hope to get some paint on this thing in the next couple of weeks. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

So much for the bottom half. I painted it with Krylon Gloss black for the top and Pimento for the bottom. I dont know if the Pimento is going to work out. Its not red enough. Ill probably end up painting over it.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Now on to the limbar hole grilles.

Problem is that the preformed dapped out indents that I drilled out and filed to perfection are too small for the grates to fit flush. So , out comes the Dremel and a small cutter that I use to expand the edges a bit. After they fit nice I carefully thin CA them in place.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:49 pm

After they are in place they need to be dressed up a bit. For this I used this single part filler so that I dont have to keep mixing and applying. Then they are sanded smooth.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Ive finished the one side and have started on the other side. Then its on to the safety rail and then more paint. Then,,,, finally,,on to the sail.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I have come to the conclusion that the "Pimento" is not going to work out. It has dried to much like pale light orange. So last night I bought a can of Krylon Banner red. I painted a piece of test material and it seems much closer to what I want. So when the time is right I will very lightly sand the red areas and paint it over with Banner Red.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Time to update. On to the hull details such as but not limited to safety rail and hull fittings that were included in the detail kit.
Image Photo etched brass detail parts for everything including recessed windlass and bollards and flanges of unknown purpose. Crafty Russians!

Image The drawing of the rear hatch detail and brass part

ImageTo apply the thin CA in a sparing way I used this, tubing and nozzle kit available at the hobby store.

Image Safety rail going down as per the drawings.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:17 pm

The drawing shows you exactly where the safety rail goes. There are a lot of bends and kinks and elevation changes.

Now on to the bridge. These are the doors that fold down into the bridge opening. After that I will fill in the floor and the walls of the bridge in the next pictures.

ImageHere you can see the drawing of the bridge and the tube and hatch that lead down into the sail. Here is the real thing. If you look closely you can see the hatch almost even with the top of the sail.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Here you can see the upper hatch in brass. To make the shaft I used a piece of 1/4" brass tube and the body of a Bic pen cut short.

In place. A little more clean up and shell be ready for paint.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads