Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Scale Ship Oscar 2

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm

If I remember correctly the Dimmension Engineering speed control can be set up to do that. I dont know to what extent. Ill look into it. There are some tiny switches on the board that you use to configure it to do that( Im sure that you know what I am talking about). However , I believe that to do that you will lose the ability to control both motors seperately. Im going to check it out. Im definetly going out again this weekend and see what I can see.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby KevinMc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 am

Yup, I know what you're talking about. I believe the DE litterature made some mention of "tank drive" mode, which is what you want. All it's going to do is have a single "throttle" input, and a steering input, and it will drive the two motors accordingly. Yes, you'll lose the ability to independantly drive each but with that mode in place you really shouldn't need anything more anyways. I plan to accomplish the same thing with a custom V-tail/X-tail mixer in front of the two Viper speed controls I use for my OSCAR.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 am

Now that will be interesting to see. When you get it in place please show us the pictures here or start your own thread. Thanks. Also I searched through the Subcommittees archives for your Thread on your Oscar. I used to have it but its now gone. If you have it can you put a link here. There is a lot of cool stuff in it.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:59 am

I took the liberty to address the rudder issue somewhat by moving the servo linkage on both rudder inputs to a higher setting so that I would get more rudder movement. I heard that anymore than thirty something degrees and you will notice no change. Well, just for the heck of it its been increased more to see what will happen. Also to stop the rear planes from being over extended I reduced the movement at the servo arm. Then I bumped the endpoint adj. back up. End result: no jamming of the stern planes by the ADF and increased rudder movement. I think I will determine which DIP switch controls the rudder induced drive control so that I can switch back and forth as I choose from outing to outing. If I cant figure it out by looking at it I will pull out the sheet that comes with it. As I am fond of saying" If all else fails ....read the destructions" :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Here it is. The Sabertooth 2x10 RC. I called them(Dimension Engineering) and they said to take DIP switch #1 and move it to the up position to mix the drive motor control. Then take the pigtail marked S1 and connect it in with the rudder ch. The other pigtail leave on your throttle control ch. This mix is supposed to mix the rudder inputs with the props. For example, to turn right the rudders would go all the way right and the right prop would slow and the left prop would speed up. The more rudder input you give it the more the props react. If you go all the way right with the stick then the right prop will stop and the left prop will run at full speed. We will try it. Jeff Larue turned me on to this speed control some years back but I have never tried the mix control part of it. I am wondering if I could do the same thing with my Polk radio without changing wires and DIP switches and then I would have the best of both worlds. Ill have to call John Gill, he can give me the skinny on it. Great guy!
greenman407

Postby Albion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

The Action electronic's one also turns the props in opposite directions when the rudder is turned but no forward or reverse is applied, does this one do that??? it is smaller and cheaper than Action
Albion

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:14 am

If I understand your question correctly, this speed control will allow you to control the two motors seperately using two radio controls or you can set it up where it will mix the two with the rudder but they wont do both at the same time. I am hoping to do both at the same time using one of the Polk radios built in mixes. Ill let you know how it works.
greenman407

Postby Al Nuci » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Mark, I understood his comment to state the "Action" controller rerferred to, will actually reverse the left/right prop accordingly when commanding a turn without moving the throttle forward/reverse. However, I may have simply read to much into the comment as well. : ) That would certainly be taking the overall operation of the controller to the next level, if that were the case. Interesting!
Last edited by Al Nuci on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Al Nuci

Postby Al Nuci » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Albion, Can you explain further! or provide some info. on the particular electronic controller you refer to in your response to Greenman407. Thanks,
Al Nuci

Postby Albion » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Al Nuci wrote:Albion, Can you explain further! or provide some info. on the particular electronic controller you refer to in your response to Greenman407. Thanks,

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf

like this
Albion

Postby Al Nuci » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Albion, Thanks, a very nice ESC, appears to have many interesting and useful functions, certainly worth looking into. Thanks for sharing the info. on this particular controller with us. Are you presently using the Action ESC in any of your models ?
Al Nuci

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:56 am

Barry Blyth here in the UK does some nice little mixers and they're very cheap. They are homebrew, and may look a little less flash than some of the other products mentioned here, but they work extremely well.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/barry.blyt ... html#8069B
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 am

Barry has a nice assortment of mixers as well. The Action controller appears to offers two fully operational esc's and mixer incorporated within it's module casing, as opposed to needing two seperate units to control each of the motors, but it's all good, and reasonable as well.
Al Nuci

Postby greenman407 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks Subculture. I am going to email Barry Blyth on Monday with some questions. Thanks
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:06 am

After talking with John Gill at Polk hobbies and working with him on the phone we were able to set up a mix. What this mix does is that(after throwing a switch) when you move the rudder left and right the props will rotate , one forward, the other reverse to spin you around without forward motion(differential steering). What it wont do is the tractor steering, you have to do that with the mix built into the speed control. However if you set it up to do that ,then you lose your differential steering. The only way to have your cake and eat it too is to do it manually. So much for mixes. After looking into some other options that were suggested the end result is the same. If I am missing something, somebody say something. :)
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads