Banner Ad 1

The Chinese Dragon

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

The Chinese Dragon

Postby aquadeep » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I recieved this sub directly from Ark Models ,China about 2 years ago and it sat ever since but I have now found a better WTC to use than the one supplied.
It was not to my likeing and I wanted a longer sub,so I ordered a 6 inch longer tube/center hull and with it came a much improved bow and stern along with a redesieghned end cone.
This sub now measures 40 inches by 4 inches in diamiter and that way to me its more in prportion to its sail and fins.
The materials used in this sub are very strong and of high quality injection molds with even the bottom limber rectangles pre cut in CNC.
Also the tail is able to be locked by indexing lugs into the stern cone into iether cros or X configurations ,nice.
There are brass bushings for the all flying serfaces and preinstaled brass shafts with horns included.
The Kurt knozel is similar to the Seawolfs desighne also made of the same material as the hull cone and has a brass bushing,all fitting together very preciecly and strong.
The sail is also very solid and has bushings for the dive planes,along with well done scribeing details.
No mold over flashing or boubbles ect .in the moldings and this is not the usual resigne at all but a high impact plastic that I have not seen before and has great qualities like easy to paint and sand no residues of molding and drills well.Rigid yet flexable and very light.

The original kit came with all the components needed to make a fine static diver useing a bladder and a geared down gear pump,tail mixer ,electronic switch,and CNC equipment tray that useses 4 stainless steel rods and nuts also very well desighned.

I decieded not to use the WTC at all and go with a Valltera unit I plan to modify into a WTC ,it fits right into the hull like it was made for it .

The casing system of bayonet locking seal is very well made and with all of the fittings available that fit it should work out well.
Thickness of the Valltera is about a 1/4 inch and made of the same material used in underwater camarra housings.
The seal is not a O ring but a special ring that has a unique shape to it made to take both horizontal and radial pressure.
The WTC comes apart with some presssure as the locking lugs disengage with ease.
All I have to do is make the tray out of PVC 1/8 inch plate ,since the caps go on without thrugh bolts ect. there is no internal streching loads imposed on the try and is an important feature .

I will be installing my pump dive system along with hydraulic masts and 4-6 amp hr 12 volt power and a geared down 3.5 to 1 marine power plant which is water coolled.

Over all this sub is a good buy at under 300.00$ bucks when I ordered from Ark Models,I had great service and he supplied the nose and tail upgrades for free!
I herd some folks had troubles but not I.

When completed it shuold be a very manuverable sub with those full flying fins and dive planes and I would say its in the 1/96th scale.
It would be cool to leave it clear maybe.
Ill be posting the build.

dave :D

Last edited by aquadeep on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Here are some pics ,also go to http://www.arkmodel.com/c7606_e.htm
And check out the other nice subs!

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:27 pm

The Casing the one I will be useing has 4 lugs not 2.

Last edited by aquadeep on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Here are some more pictures of the WTC ,it has turned out to be an excelent WTC and soon will be completed.
No need to build from scratch a WTC that might end up with more problems than its worth.

This system of interlocking bayonets is just what I have bben serching for a long time .

Any length of WTC can be just added on in sections from 5 inches to 12 inches.
this means that the unit can be interchanged with any subs internal configuration,such as more pumps or electronicks package.
No tools to open and it it totaly dry every time!
No thermal expantion to cause leaks nor distortions from weak materials.
This WTC is built very well and engineered to last.

I used ROBBE belows and my own stuffing tube with a 3/16th stainless shaft/bushings and MIL spec U jouint.
Also a micro pump runs off the aft shaft of the motor to serqulate the cooling fluid,the out side coil has not been made yet as are the passthruoghs for the electrical conections.

Also the smaller extention tube will have the same caps installed and will be the forward compartment for future components and to be able to remove the nose /bow.

2 6 volt 4.5 amp hour batteries will be installed with the ballst tank inbetween.
One battery then ballst tank then the other battery for best ballance.

I wish I had used this WTC in my other subs for it far superior in all aspects from ease of opening to expandability ect.

Please see more about it in the RC modeler section.

Dave :D

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby greenman407 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey Dave, Really neat! Where can we buy one of these Valterra WTCs? Will you be a supplier for them as well as the rest of the hardware? Great posting!!
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby aquadeep » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 am

Yes I can supply these WTC built ready to go into your sub,with or without your components and it uses standard servo sizes.

No binding of the servo movements and absolutely watertight with plenty of room for extra components and functions.

Thick 1/4 inch walls of a material that wont crack easily like Lexan tubes do.
Easy to replace parts and expand to as long as you need it to be with even compartments and larger circumfrences.

I will be making them with built in hydraulic masts system!

It drills and machines with ease and glues like GOOP adheare very well unlike some plastics.

Check out the rightup on this great WTC in New Product Anouncements and lets see what this new very well engeneered WTC can do for your submarine.

Dave :D

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:18 am

Just finished the Dragon Shark by Ark Model

Since she is not a scale sub I went with a more visable color of metalic silver then cleared it over several times,this brings out the shine and protects the paint.

I wanted a fun to run all aruond high performer that this hull desighne was capable of by moving the non moving sail planes to the bow and making the them move.

What a huge difference that makes on any sub!

I also changed the prop for a 5 bladded brass one turned down to fit the Kort Knozzle and that increased the thrust a bit more.

By the way this is the first use of the Casing as seen above.

She has hydraulic masts but not finished yet.

With those full flying serfaces this sub turns within 4ft underwater! And dives /serfaces very gracefully but pridictably no sail over stear.
Also whats neat with this kit is the choice to have X or + aft planes with an interesting interlocking ring cone.

I had Mr. feng send me a longer tube or center section of Lexan a few years ago and I think he liked the results ,a bit longer sleaker sub,hence the Dragon Shark.

2-6 volt bats in series give her a runtime of an hour and a half,charged from the bow which is removable and held in place with an O ring no tools needed.

In the water she will radiate as if nuked and that will make her an all around fun to run at any time any place sub,even in the merkiest waters.
But mostly to go deep and still be visable.

Dave Amur Ship Yard :D

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby greenman407 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:43 pm

You make the coolest stuff! I hope to be able to see it at the Den sunday jan. 25th. mark
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby aquadeep » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Ya you will and another new one! :D :D

Dave

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Return to Builder Threads