Banner Ad 1

Steve Neill builds a Big Dave Seaview

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby U812 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:58 am

I just did a full test of the BD Cylinder and I got to say it passed 100 %. Not a drop. No leaks first time.

OK. Pump Jet time. Once that's built I can start building the hull.

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:29 am

A bit more done tonight. Actually got a whole 4 hours in this night. Got the PJ built and fitted. It wasn't as bad as BD warned me about. Line up the trust tube sections in the nacelles was a bit tricky but not to bad. Pump jet itself was an easy build like the WTC.

Trial fitted the WTC and it fits like a glove. I have enough room up front to get most of the interior in.

So far this is an easy build and a very trick sub the way BD engineered it.

Here's some pictures.

Steve

U812

Postby Bigdave » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 am

Wow! :shock:
Looks like you have indeed snatched the pebbel from my hand Grasshopper. :D
I will have to make it harder for you next time. :roll:
You are too good!! :wink: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Oh knock it off. You made it easy. Good engineering. Good instructions. Excellent pictures from every conceivable angle.

Still I couldn't build a large wooden bagger with it.

Thanks BD,

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:52 am

OK I got the rudders, dive planes and aft section all glued together. Not real easy but not bad. What I did to be able to get those nacelles around the trust tubes and the dive planes and shafts was only glue the outsides of the nacelles together so I could spread them to fit over the dive planes. Once that was done then I could lock them down with glue. Then you add the rudders. A bit of a ship in a bottle work.

Tomorrow I can move on top the rest of the hull and get the WTC mounted. This is a pretty fast build. I thought it would take longer.

David Merriman's fittings kit is great and has saved me lots of time. Everything fit dead on he made.

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 am

All I have left to do now is limber holes. Fill and sand a bit. Primer and paint and add all the lights.

The aft deck section is held in place with magnets. Under that you see one of two screws that hold the two sections of hull together. I was able to have long enough screws that they grab the WTC at the ballast section. They hold it in place and don't allow it to move which eliminated any need for mount plates. Nice thing is this leaves the bow end cap clear to be opened and closed from the Flying Sub bay. It was a lucky accident. Any where I can lose weight on this boat will be helpful.

The Fly Sub bay doors remove easy and are held in place with magnets. Lots of room to get to the end cap and connect the battery.

I hooked up the rudder, dive planes and PJ. all worked perfectly. I could feel air coming out of the nacelles. Lots of air.

The sail is held in place with magnets. I opted not to use the sail planes. The supplied sail planes are lighter than the the resin versions. Less weight top side.

If I wanted to I could trim and run her tomorrow. But you know me I'll paint and finish her off first. It wont take long and when she's trimmed shes done.

More tomorrow.

Steve

U812

Postby Boss subfixer » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 am

Man Steve that looks good.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Bigdave » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:40 am

I like your use of the magnets. :D Cool idea. 8)
You simplified the build a bit from the way I did mine. I tend to over engineer sometimes. :roll:
Not a bad thing I guess. :lol:
I love seeing how someone else would tackle the same build. 8) BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks BD. I even glued in the PJ duct section since it can never be removed to save more weight. I remember you injecting foam back there. Trying to cut weight where I can.

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Not much to see. For those of you following the web cam I've finished the limber holes and filled the gaps. Now to sand these down and paint her. Simple. Primer gray on top side, white on the bottom. A bit of modeling with a darker grey. Done. The original was of such. Dupont primer gray and white.

Then I'll add the windows and lights and it's trim the boat when the weather cools a bit.

Nice build. Sort of easy, sort of not.

Steve
web cam at:

www.justin.tv/au812 I building nightly. Check the scedule events.
U812

Postby U812 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Got all the lights in. I'll take a picture later of it all lit up. It's painted. Needs a little modeling effect. Going to add a bit of the interior at the windows tonight and paint the masts, scope and array. All easy stuff. Let the paint dry a couple of days and this weekend trim and run her. As usual I'll video the event and web cam it.

Finished pictures later tonight but she's 95% right now.

Fast build even working just 3 hours a night.

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 am

The model is officially done as of tonight. I finished off the paint job with some airbrushing. Added the forward section of the interior.

Saturday I'll trim her and ring her out in the pool. Next week I'll take her to the lake.

Here's some pictures.

Enjoy.

Steve

P.S.
And thanks again!!!! Wayne!! BD!! and David Merriman!

U812

Postby U812 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:25 am

Knowing what BD went through with weight and foam I put in about 12-13 oz keel weight and foam everywhere I could. The CellFoam 88, worked great and I was able to evenly distribute the foam through out the hull. I put a great deal in the stern with blue foam. Blue foam in the bow. I also snugged up the fit of the WTC quite well. Hoping tomorrow to see how she sits.

Hoping to start trimming online at www.justin.tv/au812 late afternoon via web cam in my pool.

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:41 am

Tested the Seaview in the pool today and she ran perfect. No problems found and no leaks.

I found with a bit of practice and careful control I could dive level without the correction deflectors.

Video later tonight.

Congrats BD on another great Cylinder kit!

Steve

She will actually sit higher than this. Just the picture.

Here she is at neutral with a bit of the sail sticking up.
U812

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:42 am

I shot this myself with the camera strapped to the radio. If I'm not careful she noses down but when I'm in control she dives real slow and level.

Forgot to turn on the lights! Darn it!

Next. The lake. I'll be sure to charge the hull up for those pesky Squids!

Steve

http://wavelit.com/media/1130/Seaview_pool_tests/
U812

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads