Banner Ad 1

1/72 HMK Permit

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/72 HMK Permit

Postby PaulC » Mon May 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Okay, this isn't going to be a traditional build thread -- at least not in my mind. To me, a build thread is where virtually every step is documented and methods are discussed at length. Unfortunately, time (and camera) won't allow me to do that. Besides, if you want to know my methodology on this build see my 1/96 ThorDesign Permit thread.

Since I've gotten the kit from Joel Stadnick at HMK (my write-up of the kit contents is in the latest SCR) I've basically been tinkering with the parts, trimming flash, and fitting things together. Then last weekend I had a curious incident with the hull halves. They arrived perfectly matched. However, while sitting in the shop over the weeks a gap appeared on each end where the halves pulled away from each other. Had to be due to the humidity and temperature difference between Texas and Canada. Still, it surprised me because normally epoxy doesn't shrink that much and it usually isn't that localized.

At any rate, I taped the internal hull formers and WTC saddles in place, top and bottom, taped the hull halves together, and held them tight with rubber bands. The mated hull was placed outside on top of my BBQ grill in the heat of the day. I rotated it every few minutes, giving equal exposure to both sides, top and bottom. Then I took it inside and let it cool. When the tape and bands were removed the hull halves were perfect again.

Finally this weekend I got to put in some shop time. Having been down this road before I plowed through the z-cut, indexing lips, MBT floods, installing and truing up of the sail, and mounting the bearings for the stern appendages. The stern planes are not installed permanently quite yet -- I'm still fine tuning the fit. Overall it was a pretty eventful weekend.

Been also doing research on the class to decide which boat to build. Along the way I was fortunate enough to strike up a conversation with Captain David C. Minton, Capt. USN (ret) who commanded USS Guardfish (SSN-612). As a result I've settled on depicting his boat as it was in the summer of '72 when she famously trailed an Echo II off Viet Nam.

So far this has been a fun kit to work on. And though the pictures don't do it justice, it is going to be a nice, big boat.
Last edited by PaulC on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:13 pm

It's so shiny...
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 am

That's the gel coat Joel used when he laid up the hull. I haven't primed it yet. In the stern shot you can see where I've sanded the aft piece of the upper hull. The rest of the forward upper half hasn't been roughed up yet. It is striking as you say. :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Polaris » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Hey Paul,
I just noticed this thread but then realized your last post was in May.

Hows this build going?

Stuart
Polaris

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Well, at present it's not. My work situation has been very demanding of my time recently. What time I have been using for hobby has been spent on finishing a previous project, my static Nautilus. I really want to get that done and off my bench so I can focus on the Permit. It really is a wonderful kit and I can't wait to get it in the water.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 am

Hey Paul, I have plans to get the Sturgeon back on the work bench this next month, I will be Done with the D&E's 212 model by Labor day. With that said I will make a copy of the Stern cone for you, if you still want it?

Let me know, and send a shipping address Paul.

Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for thinking of me!

However, I've decided to go a different route with this build. I'm not doing Barb, which had the Sturgeon style vertical fins on the tip of the stern planes, but rather Guardfish which had the standard Permit class planes.

I appreciate the offer, though! And look I forward to seeing your Sturgeon progress. It's going to be a great kit.
Last edited by PaulC on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks Paul, and no problem if you do a second one or change your mind let me know! b_starkes@msn.com

Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Return to Builder Threads