Banner Ad 1

Delta Submersible - restoring a wreck!

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby SteveUK » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Oooooh I got into something else, called cosplay. 8)
I have been having a bit of a rest from r/c modelling. Some guy appeared at our local lake with a large IC speed boat, and his attitude to everyone else on the water is F***k you! Some people have even had their models damaged by this guys boat colliding - at speed! He's even put a solid aluminium point on his bow. What kind of.. :? One member of the public aaaalmost got hit when his boat hit the concrete bank and jumped out of the lake. But the police have no powers to move him on unless someone actually gets injured. He almost destroyed the club because people gave up coming. (The lake is open to the public). I went down about a month ago and I'm pleased to say the model boat club is growing again although I only recognised one face there.. But 'Johnny no-mates' is still monopolising the water. It's frustrating seeing the other models being lifted out the water as soon as he arrives. The other models only go in when his boat conks out in the middle..but it doesn't take him long to wade out and retrieve it. Then the noise starts up again and everyone heads back to the bank for safety. He's such a d***! I was hoping he'd get borred of flinging his big boat around. Not so far... ¬_¬

Anywho I haven't given up r/c modelling. I have too much stuff waiting to be built and sailed. And only last week I was given a fibreglass hull and plans of an old destroyer which my friends dad was shedding. I just don't know when I'll get back into it though.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby SteveUK » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh forgot to mention - the launch of the winged minisubs has been postponed. The "Aquaflight "had some teething troubles. I think Rob has determined they need more development before they can hit the market. The as supplied wtc - which was a vacu formed plastic box - was not sealing well enough. So I think he might be trying to source some clear plastic tubes that will fit inside.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:10 am

Understood.

A length of PVC tube is cheap and effective,and could be paired with some lexan, acrylic or cast polyurethane resin endcaps.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 am

Yep I think a PVC tube with end caps is the way to go with them.
As well as not sealing well enough I don't like to think of the effect of water pressure on the square sided wtc say at the bottom of a deep swimming pool. (the vacuformed plastic walls were not very thick)
It just means that inevitably the kit cost will have to be higher, and I'm sure Rob was trying to keep the market price as low as possible.
But I think people would rather pay accordingly to get all the basic parts of a dependable model submersible delivered in one package.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 am

To make it a really saleable product, I would get a an internal techrack laser cut or CNC milled for the WTC. Choose a common make of servo and have it sized to that.

If the kit is easy to put together it will sell well to beginners and experienced submariners too.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

Cheers, I'll pass on your advice to Rob when I see him next.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Previous

Return to Builder Threads