Banner Ad 1

Rick Teskey seaview build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Oh and Dave, been watching with keen interest all your projects. Fantastic work! I especially want to see the type 21.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby aquadeep » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Sounds good Mark ,just get with Al he wants to come up here next Saturday ,if you cant make it no bigie we will all get together at the Den,let me know when.
Ill bring the XXI and some new ones!And the new Caseing!

Your Seaview is looking good and she is behaveing as I thought ,I had a

De Bore 7 ft lady and she did the same.
But what a eye catcher!

She looks like a sea creature at 7ft :P !

Alot of memorries will come back when I see yours in the water.
I cramed a compressor ballast system in that sub 2hour run time and a custom jet drive.She went fast under way but never manuevered as I would have liked ,its just the nature of the beast and hydrodynamics.

I sold her 2 years later in California. :(

Dave Amur Ship Yard :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Sub culture » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 am

RPM isn't everything, you need torque too. What is the diameter of the props? If it's much more than 30% over the diameter of the motor armature you're overloading the motors, especially if they're high revving units.

Small brushless motors would give plenty of power, but you'd have to upgrade the controllers.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

looking good!!!

Postby Rick Teskey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:12 am

Mark she looks great!!
Fast or slow or going in a straight line you can't beat this gal for the lines and curves!
You did her justice
Rick Teskey 8)
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Hello Subculture. How is everything on the otherside of the pond? Good point. However the WTC that is installed in the sub uses the 400 speed motors from Graupner and gives them a 3 to 1 gear reduction. I will post some pictures of them as soon as I get the new motors from Graupner, which by the way have more torque, more everything than the ones I am replacing. Its also of interest to note that the only motor that destroyed itself is the one that the gear came loose on. The other motor got warm but not hot. Please keep your eye on this build as I am thankful for your input.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Rick, In my humble opinion its the most awesome craft on the lake , any lake , anywhere! I am constantly amazed at how good a job that you did on crafting this thing! truly amazing. I am commited to working and improving any difficiencies that I see. This thread is far from over! :D :) :lol: By the way, I just love your avatar
greenman407

Postby aquadeep » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Mark you will like those Graupner motors they are stronger than others,when we get together lets see about water cooling them.

longer run times with cooler drives. :D

Dave

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby greenman407 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Cool , I was thinking the same thing. I will E-mail Al as you said but I wont be able to attend this Saturday. Be talking to you soon. Mark
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Didn't know you were running gearboxes with the motors.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Sub culture do you know if Sheerline hull mfg. is still in business? I heard that they made some very good sub kits and that they are made in England. If they are can you supply me with an E-mail address? Thanks
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Addressing the problem of increasing the Seaviews reactions to the dive planes ,I believe that the easiest solution will be to activate the sail planes.
Image ooops, wrong picture

As you can see here they are of generous size and will be of great help. They were CAed so that they would not move but I just broke the glue bond loose so it wont be a problem getting them to function. There are two ways that I can think of to hook them up. One way would be with the addition of another servo inside the Wtc, run a linkage out of it and hook it up the same way Caswell is operating the bow planes on the Revell Gato. This would involve removing the two full size servos( because there is no more room) and replacing them with three mini servos and then re-engineering the pushrods. Or perhaps an easier way would be to install a waterproff servo outside the Wtc , just behind it , in between the driveshafts. What do you guys think? Which servo would you suggest?
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:05 am

Sheerline are still very much in business- http://www.lecza.com/Sheerline/Brochure.htm

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:25 am

There are several watertight servos but its always better if you can instal them in the caseing.

My 7 ft Seaview had operational diveplanes and it made a huge diference but only in serfaceing and diveing.You will find that she will hold a staedy periscope depth much better as well,as this sub does any way.

Sheerline are pricy! OTW are more for the money in my opinion.
Dave :D

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Sub culture » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Sheerline boats come complete with dive units, so they're competitively priced.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:42 pm

I just recieved my two speed 400 motors from Hobby Lobby but unfortunately one of the motors is no good right out of the box. Will have to wait until monday to get them moving on a replacement. In the mean time I have decided to mount a Traxxas no. 2056 water proof servo as I stated before. So I ordered one from Tower Hobbies today.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads