Banner Ad 1

Rick Teskey seaview build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Rick Teskey seaview build

Postby junglelord » Mon May 10, 2010 9:03 am

Here you go.
His autolevels are brand new from Germany.
http://precisionpattern.biz/subs/electronics.htm

Matt tells me they are the best of the best and very small.
He gave me a HUGE deal, I think two for the price of one.
He is not offering that deal, mind you, he just did something very KIND for me.
So thankyou Matt from the bottom of my heart and if I can give him business, I am more then happy to send you his way.
Dean
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Oh yeah, Matt Thor. Which one did you get ? The pitch controller or the Pitch controler and depth control in one?
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 pm

I got the postage stamp pitch controller.
The depth-pitch controller is a new item on his page.
Nice stuff, A?
(A little Canadian for you, A?)
LOL.
:lol:
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:42 pm

I like that. Rogue subworks will be stocking them too.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:11 pm

As I watch my Voyage to the bottom of the Sea on Hulu I have been taking a few screen captures here and there. I thought that the Seaview was supposed to be Light grey on top and flat white on the bottom. Well take a look at this. This is a screen capture taken of the episode "Graveyard of fear" in color.

If youll notice the color, on my monitor its a brownish color. Thats the first time that I have noticed that.
It has been spoken of before but this shot really shows well the impossibly high freeboard of the Seaview on tv. Its like the bow is hydroplaning across the waves while the stern is more or less realistic. I have seen pictures of the british sub Dreadnaught in a similar attitude. Maybe there is something to it.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Notice the unusual hull shape of the Dreadnaught.
Now notice its riding attitude on the occasion of this photo shoot. The same as the Seaview on many occasions.
I have seen the same attitude in model boats and subs before. If you give them too much throttle they will tend to do that, dig a hole in the water if you will. Perhaps thats what Irwin Allen had in mind. On a submarine designed like the Seaview a lot of emphasis was placed on visual contact, so this attitude could have been adopted to uncover the windows as it were to assist in visual confirmation. You will recall that there is someone constantly on station at a post just behind those windows in the pilot film and in the first season. As a full size boater I have noticed that the same thing occurs when a boat comes off plane,the stern drops off first, then the bow.
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:26 pm

In the book 'HM Submarines in Camera' it is termed as sailing 'on the step' where the sub rides on it's own bow wave- the nuclear boats had enough power to make this possible.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Aha! I knew that there was something to it.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 pm

No big deal, just a recent screen capture that shows the rounded nose cutting thru the water. This shot came from the pilot episode from Voyage. Hulu is a great way to catch up on all the episodes that I had forgotten about.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 pm

As you can see here, this waterline is the best that I have been able to achieve and still have a good operating submarine. The next adjustment that I am going to make is to change the location vertically of the ballast tank. Right now it is sitting in a wood cradle holding it about 5/8" up off the bottom of the floor inside the hull. I want to relocate it 1/8" up off the floor and see how much improvement in freeboard that we see. Before I do that , anyone care to offer an opinion about the results?
greenman407

Postby Kerry Addington » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 am

Already a great looking, great running big Seaview and you are still not quite satisfied- I salute the pursuit !
I watch your efforts with interest and awe as I continue building my 4-window 80 version with similar dreams of a surfaced waterline exposing most of the bow windows. Since you invited speculation, I'll go ahead and ask:
While lowering your ballast tank should improve lift, how much will this negate the obstacle of ballast tank volume that remains above your desired surfaced waterline?
Kerry Addington

Postby greenman407 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm

THAT is the $250 dollar question.Since the ballast tank is going down 1/2", Im hoping that the sub will float 1/2" higher. Or it mightfloat somewhere less. At either rate there wont be anything that can be done about ballast tank above waterline.
greenman407

Previous

Return to Builder Threads