Banner Ad 1

Rick Teskey seaview build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Rick Teskey seaview build

Postby greenman407 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread. ... er-Seaview
I just became aware of Kerry Addingtons build of the 80" 4 window Seaview on the above mentioned link. Really cool stuff! :)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

One problem that has been plagueing the Seaview is radio problems. Recently I purchased this.
You will probably recognize it as a Polk Tracker. I am hoping that this will end my ocasional frustration :evil: during runs with the Seaview , ESPECIALLY at NIGHT! I was extremely and pleasantly surprised at the outstanding customer service that I recieved. I sent mine back to Polk for additional mods and the turn around time was only a couple of days despite their being slamed with a lot of work. If you need something ask for John Gill. I am going to install it in the wtc this weekend and give my impressions of its operations as I ply the raging depths of my submarine pond in search of the giant seaweed man with the Mighty Seaview! :roll: :!:
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Just found this site where you can watch all the old voyage to the bottom of the sea movies and a bunch of other stuff too.
http://www.hulu.com/voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 pm

It will not play in Canada, bummer.
I have decided to get a 57" deboer.

I look forward to your new videos.
Congradulations on the upgrade to the TX.
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 am

Junglelord , I am sorry to hear that about the problems you are having with the Hulu website. Perhaps you can try it again later and maybe it will work. I am happy to here about your plans for a new Seaview, you Seaview maniac! :lol: Thats the same Seaview that Dave Meriman did a video on with " Cultman". I will research it and see if there is a way for you to purchase one. I gave my extra copy to Kerry Addington in the Carmel Indiana Area. Perhaps you could P.M. him and work something out. He is presently building the Deboer 80" Seaview.
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

The 80" keeps crossing my mind. I know I could afford the 57" but am still looking into a 80" conversion.
The thread by Steve over at subpirates was pretty helpful about making the conversion, challanges and such on the 57" unit.
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I emailed cultTvman about the dvds and am awaiting a reply, youll absolutely love the video which includes action underwater video set to music. An absolute must have, trust me.
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm

That is so kind. I have had so much help this year from several submariner's that I am humbled by the friendship and urge to help.
Thanks so much for caring about my desires. Your very kind.
Dean
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:31 pm

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Just a couple of screenshots from the movies I have been watching on HULU, just to see how they come out.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Heres a couple more. :D

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:32 am

In previous posts I have mentioned my concern as to the heat at which the 12 volt speed 400 motors are reaching. I have tried creating heat sinks and this has helped but a better solution is necessary. I have considered the possibility of regearing and remotoring. It was recently suggested to me that a solution would be to remove 2 blades off of the 4 blade impellors. My gut feeling was that this was too much and that a 3 blade impellor would be perfect.In order to find out I pulled them out(what a job!) and cut them and reinstalled them along with all the foam and reverse bulkheads.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 am

The suggestion was that this modifacation would increase thrust and run times yet reduce stress on the motors. In order to quantify any improvment in the thrust department I purchased a digital fish scale from West Marine, hooked it up to the stern of the sub and let it go. At full power I got a figure that I will use as a bench mark. This was before any modifacations. Next weekend we will try the test again to see the results.
In the meantime I tested out the new Polk radio and reciever and am happy to report all went well, no problems. Here are some shots of the test session.

Image Interestingly enough it was on this run that I skimmed the bottom and the scoops on the bottom ingested a mass of green stringy slime that completely locked up the starboard impellor.At the moment this happened I was unaware, I just thought that it was out of sight and would return in a second or two. When it didnt I stopped both motors and surfaced. It was at this point that I could tell all was not well with the starboard unit. As I brought it in and removed the green mass from the intakes I tested it and all was well. So much for my attempting to dredge the bottom of our sub pond. The bottom Topography of this pond is still unknown to me as it has areas that rise and fall. When I finally get my virtual googles maybe I can mount the camera on the bottom of the sub and on a bright day see what it looks like down there and map out the danger zones.

The Butt shot! Isnt she glamorous?!

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 am

As the Klingons would say KABLAH! (success!). Using the digital fish scale and a string tied to the tail end of the Seaview, last week I registered a 8 ounce steady pull. Seems kind of anemic doesnt it. After the modifacations to the impellors I now register 11 to 13 ounces of pull. A whopping 50% increase. It was Dave Merrimans idea for this modifacation and I must admit that it was at that point that I started to question his sanity. Ofcourse I didnt tell him that though. No need to tick the man off. After all I might need his services again someday! He is usually right and in this case it still holds true. Next I need to talk to him about how we are going to find the room to install two chain saw motors in it for propullsion on the surface.Just kidding. The forward speed improved from moving along at a leisurly walking speed to a fast walk. I did notice that the hobby Lobby catalog no longer lists the long can 12 volt speed 400s anymore. Looks like that when these burn out Ill have to go brushless. The Subtek apc-4 is still jittering when you operate the motors so its time for a replacement. Rogue subworks has a apc that has a variable sensitivity control pot that I think will be useful here.
Last edited by greenman407 on Tue May 25, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 am

Thats because when he made his Moebius units, he tested different prop-pumpjet variations.
He found that two blades worked the best...so why not for you unit as well.
That was just simply scaling up the same information.
Cheers on the new thrust.
Awsome pics too.
thanks.
junglelord

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads