From last week's work, I did a dumb thing. So here is how I fixed it.
Two points here.
One: This is exactly why you should not be afraid to get in there and swing at building. Any mistake can be fixed.
Two: Everything Merrimen does, has a purpose !!
Last week as I assembled the shaft and put on the impellor, I noted excessive play in the Imellor housing. That is when I realized what I had done...
As supplied, the shaft comes beautifully done, with all the parts on it for the customer, On the end of the shaft was a small turned resin piece. I quickly thought it was just to retain the small parts and quickly cut it off. Stupid. I further placed the small brass bushing on the impellor, which fit perfectly. Wrong!!! I realized my folly. The brass bushing is for the impellor shroud piece. The plastic I had cut off was the bushing for the impellor.
I dont love making mistakes. But I learn from them. So today this is what I did. First, I tapped off the bushing, cleaned it, and properly installed in as the stern bearing for the shroud housing.
I then went to the Taig (told you it was handier than pockets on a shirt!). I then took a resin rod, and turned and drilled it to fit.
Where di that resin rod come from? Good question. Everytime I have cast parts, there is always a little extra. I grabbed a few of those McDonalds straws and filled them with excess, let it cure, then stripped away the plastic. Cool, huh? I also have som brass rods and tubes that I placed in small measuring cups with curing leftover resin, so that later, I may come up with something on the lathe for masts, emergency bouys with lights, or whatever.
Anyway, now on the path to correctness, I ca ed the impellor to the new resin bushing, set the shaft in place, and ca ed the now-fitting impellor to the shaft again. Nice.
Next I noticed the top rudder dragged on the hull slightly towards the rear, so I filed it carefully until it cleared, and only the shaft area touched.
I then took time testing and timing the rudder linkage and stern planes.
Satisfied , I now put the Evercoat in place to fair in the hull to the appendages. I used Qtips dipped in alchool to wipe down the joints while the Evercoat was wet. First try for that. It works very well.
Then, primered out so that I could see any imperfections to adress later.
Now it is starting to look like something!! I will now piddle around with hull index tabs, fit and finish, while my silent co-conspiritor lurking here on the boards gets ready something new for this boat...
(Hint,hint I am ready )