Banner Ad 1

Compressor based Ballast System Five ft Alfa Project Build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Compressor based Ballast System Five ft Alfa Project Build

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 am

The first one shows the ballast tank with the masts hydraulics installed, the tank is 6 inches in diameter .
The next pic shows the stainless steel wtc I make of which this one has an extension on it ,I will show the insides soon. The next shows the tank with the end cap off later it will be permenently installed,note the air banks and the water baffles there are 4 bafles.The air tanks are Co 2 paint gun air banks,they also come in a variety of sizes and are very heavy duty but not heavy.
On the other side of the tank is the 12 amp hour battery it is heavy and hence a large ballast tank tank that it sits in glued in place.
In the next set of pics you will see how the tank opens for changing the battery using a large screwed on O ringed sealed bulkhead I found and have adopted and works great.Sorry the picture is rotated 90 degrees,the tanks are horzontily side by side.
Later the air lines are flared and attached and the tank glued to the hull,then drilling of the bottom vent holes and the blow line installed is done and the ballast system is complete.The electrical cable will be stowed under and along side of the 2 vessels.Also there will be another stainless steel wtc in the front section to house more pumps, etc. for the retracting dive planes,and torpedo controls.All ten chanels of the radio will be used.Sounds like alot but nukes have alot of neat stuff.
When I first tested the tank with the rest of the sub in my test tank only a small amount of counter ballancing foam was required to ballance the sub with plenty of freeboard above the waterline as are the real ones.
In the next set of pics the masts will be shown extended thou not aligned yet but operational,along with how its made/ works and components.Just wait till you see the inside of the WTC and the main drive!
Well have a great day Dave

aquadeep

The above post is DEEPDIVER

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:28 am

I use 2 usernames in case one is down like now.

Thanks Dave :D
aquadeep

More pictures

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:22 pm

The overall componentsImageThe forward removable bulkhead for acsses to the battery
[img]The%20main%20drive%20cooling%20pump%20that%20runs%20off%20the%20prop%20shaft%20with%20Technics%20gear%20box%20and%20ujouints/gears,and%20coil%20for%20heat%20exchange.A%20sealed%20system.http://upload6.postimage.org/550734/006_6.jpg[/img]

WTC cap shows all of the fittings.Image

The inside of the WTC shows the compressor and electronics and microswitches.The ESC will be watercooled and the antena routed outside of the WTC.The white wires are loose and will be latticed later when used for more components as necessary.Image
Hydraulics for all the masts though not individualy operated but in 2s or 3rs and 2 seperate pumps.The pump can be seen in the last picture in red,from HobbyLobby is a great little pump cheap and with brass gears at 20.00 bucks.The mast move nice and slow up and down,no hangups.
WTC installed,the cable will disapeear alongside.The Air lines will be conected alongside the Wtc.

The bottom of the WTC shows the main drive ,a Makita drill motor that has ballbearings and replaceable brushes and a bearingized planetary gear box turns the huge prop with ease and for a continuese hour without overheating.Also has tremendouse thrust at top speed ,to much so she can cruise with no sweat.

ImageWell Ill post more later ,and if you have questions let me know.
Thanks Dave
aquadeep

Re: The above post is DEEPDIVER

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:25 pm

aquadeep wrote:I use 2 usernames in case one is down like now.

Dave,

That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean "in case one is down"? Either you can get into the forum or you cannot.

Let me know which forum account you'd like to keep and I can delete the other one.

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Ballast tank front removable acsses,with O ring seal.Easy to make if you can find the fitting at Lowes.
Masts fully extended.

In the next set the bulkhead will be removed showing the battery.
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Some times I have not been able to get on the forum and Tim has had to fix the problem even after I resset the password.No problemo.
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 pm

Battery acsses.
aquadeep

About mouisture in the WTC

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:54 pm

To counteract the small amount of moiisture that enters the WTC I simply spray the entire inside components with clear enamel and that stops any rust.And also the electronics are treated with a silicone spray that works great.
The servos are extra protected with silicone sealer.
aquadeep

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Sounds like this is more a password remembering problem. :)

Which forum account shall I delete?

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:08 pm

I still cant get onto the forum with DEEPDIVER even after as I mentioned resseting the password the site gave me ,I will resset it again later,but no big deal.

:D
Dave
aquadeep

Five Foot Alfa Operating sysytems

Postby Michael Wernecke » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Hello Dave,

You are what 's great about the submarine hobby.
Years ago you developed one of the first ever compressor operated ballast
systems for a radio controlled submarine.
You took the time to write a great article about it the "Subcommittee Report" and inspired others like myself to think about our own submarine projects.
To the everyday person the idea of a radio controlled submarine is still
amazing. To make a five foot or larger version submarine with a unique operating system takes peoples breath away.
I have commanded attention on many a job interview simply because of the unique engineering abilities and creative initiative this great hobby commands.
Keep up the great work Dave and keep those people at the lake lovin that great American Inventive spirit.

Thank You
Michael Wernecke
CEO International Ocean Research
International Ocean Research has lauched the first build of it's beautiful five foot Russian Alfa class submarine. To view photos of it's launch day go to the photo section on the subcommittee web site.
I have the hull kits available.
Michael Wernecke

Thank You Micheal !

Postby aquadeep » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:52 pm

:D :D Again I thank you for your great praise and insight to a diferent way to build a sub.
I have enjoyed the air compressor bassed system since I developed it and have found it to be very economical and reliable to operate.A bit buisy to build but then who said subs are simple.
Once built and tested she will run for a long time.I run alot in clear spring rivers with a pontoon boat to run from,its an exieting experiance and when folks see this huge sub they will freek out.I get them going even with the Akula II and Octura or Deepdive VI ,often they think its a gator,so I have to watch out that no one shoots her!
I love to engineer subs and to mke my ideas work in the real underwater world and that takes patience,money and knowhow, I truly am surprised that more Captains dont build there own designse,although I understand it takes alot of time and effort that most cant fit into there scedules.Michael I am sure more Captains will buy your fine great Alfa,its very roomy and not too large,just be sure to match the right motor to the high pitched prop,it takes alot of torque,so I used a portable drill motor with a planetary gear drive and hence no overheating or burnt out ESCs,but with plenty of power!She will cruise slowly most of the time ,but when she goes up river against a brisk current she wont overheat and drain the battery.Watercooling is very important.Even hydrualic masts can be added and thats so much fun to build and operate.I will outline how its made later on that subject.Stay tuned for more pictures of this build coming soon.
Again thank you Michael and have a great day!!

Dave Santivanez
aquadeep

Return to Builder Threads