Banner Ad 1

1/96 Ohio SSBN/SSGN build underway

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:54 pm

hi Wayne,
I work with a guy who was on the Ohio back in the earliy 80's, he said the max speed he ever seen the sub move was 38 knots. The speedometer went all the way up to 60 knots. One of his jobs was driving the sub. Jeff Jones.
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Jeff,
I was looking for the diameter of the screw and max rpms.
My thinking is to best match a motor/gear reduction combination to be scale like.
With the real deal's numbers, I could look at the different combinations for the best scale speed and efficency.
Really, a mental excersize, while Pete is doing his thing. I am thinking ahead to wtc's , internal, and the like.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Got the diameter. Still would like rpm range.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:05 pm

just curious what did you get for a diameter
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:45 pm

Got my answers. Thanks..
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've posted here. Kind of hard to remember where I left off. This is another picture showing the process of eliminating uneven spots and nicks and scrapes. The spritsy primer spray was wet sanded off this time, and now all that's revealed are a few nicks and scrapes that can be filled with glazing putty. The left portion of the deck in the photo has not been sanded yet, but you can see some of the little scrapes left red to the right side where it was sanded.

When I last posted I need to repair some damage to the hull resulting from fitting the missile deck, and from the stand I made for it denting the bottom because the radius of it was too small. The down forces I put on it while sanding made it push in the sides.

This first photo is of glazing putty filling cuts left by the X-acto knife while trimming the fairwater vents on the missile deck.

The result:

This is the bottom dents filled with body filler, then sanded back to the correct contour.

Since fixing this, I worked on making the towed array fairing that runs down the back port side of the hull aft of the missile deck.

I used a piece of PVC pipeing, about 1 inch in diameter, and cut it lengthwise to the proportions of the fairing. Then I sanded and shaped it to get the proper shape. THis stuff is nice to work with because it will easily bend and curve to the contour of the hull as needed, and stick well with CA.

To close up the hollow ends and to make it possible to form the rounded back end of the fairing, I filled them with globs of Icing body filler. Then I sanded down the shape to where it needed to be.

Next I had to cut an opening into the back of the missile deck where this fairing runs under it. I ended up cutting a little uneven after many attempts oof cutting, checking, cutting, checking. BUt to get this to a nice tight custom fit, again filled around it with Icing. IMPORTANT: Before putting on the Icing I put clear Scotch tape all over the top of the hull wherever Icing would touch it when forming the fairing, then also on the fairing while fitting the missile deck around it so the Icing didn't stick where I didn't want it to.

This got sanded and fit just perfect. I will wait to fasten the towed array fairing to the deck until after all the detailing is doen, since that will require a high buildup of paint to accomplish. Having all that paint built up over top of the fairing would change the size and shape of it too much. Also, waiting makes it easier to detail the fairing off the boat. I used it to test the detail process I'm going to use of painitng over chart pak tape, then removing it to reveal lines. It worked beautifully. I need to get a shot of how the fairing to missile deck interface turned out.

Now, here is what has been keeping me from this build. My wife and I have been planning, actually my wife has been planning to finish off the rest of our basement to create a home theater where I can watch football, uninterupted, and in crystal-clear HD large screen slendor since getting our new Verizon FiOS TV. Really, it was her idea, because through the regular analog signal, the TV reception has steadily been getting worse over the last 3-4 years to the point where I was yelling and screaming more at the loss of picture and sound than at my beloved Bears screwing up. And because she loves me so much, and so that I can enjoy the football games, she wanted to get the FiOS and finish this home theater. At least, that's the way I see it.

The problem is, I have to do the finishing. I won't let workmen into my house since some practically destroyed our first house shortly after we moved into it. So to get me more motivated, my wife took me to Best Buy to buy the big screen TV. Now it sits on the floor. So in order to get it up on the wall and all comfy to watch, I have to get this basement done.

Now I'm not saying this was all my doing, my wife thinks it was all her idea. If any of you want to use this kind of reasoning on things with your spouse, I want a royalty, thank you very much.

Once this is all done (I'm shooting for the end of October) I can get back to the Ohio build.

Where I started: putting up stud walls.

Progress:

HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:24 pm

The wall looks pretty good to me. Why do you want Gorbachev to tear it down?
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 pm

towed array housing is looking nice pete. You still on schedule?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Pirate » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:02 am

Well, I haven't worked on this any since last post, but got some pictures of it since I've repaired the damage. Couldn't resist putting one of my Virginia sails on it.

HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:58 am

Very Nice Pete!! I still want one mate!!

Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby Pirate » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:36 am

Me too!
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Making progress on the basement room. Also, made a cool entertainment center to hold my FiOS box and home theater equipment. Haven't had a chance to install LEDs like Kevin McCleod on a submarine yet, but I did get some on this.

Carbon fiber baby!

Got the LEDs form Advance Auto. Blue lights to trick out a rice-burner. They already have resistors installed and run on 12V.

I hooked them all into a small circuit board I got at Radio Shack in which I connected them to a 12V DC converter. Then they can be plugged into a 110V wall socket. They are mounted to the back edge of some acrylic sheet. The front edge is left sanded rough, which diffuses the light to make the whole edge glow. "Beam me up, Scotty."

HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 am

OMG Thats pretty sweet Pete. Im going to have to get a job in IN so that I can learn your ways.

Kevin
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:08 pm

Updates!!!!!
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Navy2000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:44 pm

How much further are we looking at for production runs, trying to figure out how to spend my xmas funds.

Duane
Navy2000
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads