I've been building. I've been building the sail. I found from my information that the sail needed to be a little larger than the one given to me by another model builder.
That sail was made in two pieces; the bottom–built open on both the top and bottom like a tube, and the top like a cap.
THe bottom part has a mold with a protrusion coming down from the top half that goes down through the center. This part is hard to get out of the cast part.
I built the sails to my Seawolf and Virginia as one piece, but that still required the protruding part of the rubber mold to make the center hollow on the casting. Again, it is hard to get out, and makes it easy for the mold to get torn and therefore easily ruined. This is my Virginia sail and mold.
For this Ohio model I wanted to do it a little different. One problem in shaping the sail by hand is getting the curve around both sides of the sail to be symmetrical. But if I make one half that can be used for both sides, then they are sure to be symmetrical. Then also it will only need a simple two-part mold.
I started by making one side from MDF wood.
Then I made a two-part mold for it.
I cast two pieces in it in a Harbor Freight pressure pot.
I created a tab system on the back sides of each, then fit them together. With them together I could shape the curve on the bottom to fit the forward slope on the turtleback deck. Once these are detailed I will make a new mold for each side. These will reproduce much easier and quicker with less rejected pieces. This picture shows the two halves tacked together to get everything lined up and detailed.
Next step was to make the sail planes. Since these are also symmetrical, I could make one and duplicate it for the other side. I made one, then sanded it against the side of the sail to get the curve to match up perfect. Then I applied a piece of the chart tape that I used to detail the hull around the sail where the articulation is supposed to be. I then painted it to get a recessed line at that point.
I like using the square brass shafts for the control surfaces because the control horns will not slip and rotate around it like they can on a round rod.
I made a mold of this piece and made two castings. Then I cut them at the line with a razor saw.
I attached the short, curved piece to the side of the sail. And then repeated this for the other side. Since both sails are identical, I'll only need one mold for both side sail planes.
I filled and finished off the sail plane roots. Made the side marker lights and attached them, and applied the rest of the details to the sides, including the diesel exhaust ports, the radar window, the dive horn and the floating antenna on the port side.
I made the top piece out of MDF also.
Here are some shots of the sail master completed, although I still need to add the holes on top for all the masts—that's next. Then molds for each part.