Ok, I held some of these back so that what I brought to the SubRegatta would be new for those attending. ANd now the rest of you can see what they saw.
The next step was laying the glass on the bottom half of the hull. I learned something new about this. I used to place the glass, then use a china bristle brush to spread the resin and wet out the glass by rubbing the resin in.
I learned that the inexpensive, and disposable, little foam paint rollers do one heck of a good job of this. And the roller forces the resin through the glass better, but also sops up the extra resin so you get only enough to properly wet out the glass because it sucks any extra back up.
I poor and spread on some resin with the brush.
Then I spread it with the foam roller.
Here I've sanded the first layer of resin (no pic). I debated adding another layer of finer glass, or spraying the crap out of it with filler primer to fill the cloth weave as Brian Stark (Sparks) suggested. But I decided to give it just another coat of resin with the roller to fill the weave.
This worked well for that.
After it all cured, I needed to fill in the areas where the cloth from the top half and bottom half overlapped because it left a ridge along the side. Once I started doing this I relaized there where a lot more highs and lows to be filled than I thought, so out came the Icing again.
This part is soooo tedious, but this is where it counts.
After sanding and filling, and sanding and filling, and sanding and filling, I then used a number of coats of the filler primer to fill in as many of the scratches as possible. But of course there are always some left, so I used some glazing putty to fill in what was left.
Then sanded and reprimed. I wanted to get the center line, top to bottom, marked again, so out came the laser level again to use for my straight edge. Here you can see better how I used it, and then lined up a piece of tape to its center. Then I ran a sharpie down the edge of the tape to mark the center and remove the tape.
I have been using pieces of the styrofoam I had cut the hull sections out of as a stand for the hull while I worked on it up till now. But now I need someting that will make the model level from the surface it sits on so I can mark lines running the length of the hull to line up the missile deck. So I built a quick stand out of aluminum tubes and plexiglass. This turned out pretty nice, and I think the finished boat will look good on this too.
I learned a neat trick on getting a great finished edge on plexiglass too. You braze the edge with a propane torch. I left these edges rough sanded, to where they're real foggy and almost opaque, then hit them with a torch, back and forth down the edge, until it melted back to a smooth, clear finish—fantastic! Perhaps I'll include some pictures of doing this. It was really fun and produced a fantastic finished edge. I saw it on one of the "Trick my Ride" type shows. A guy used a sheet of plex as an accent on a sound system case. He brazed the edge, then put a row of LEDs along the back edge, sandwiched the piece in between to black boxes, and the whole exposed edge lit up like a laser beam. I'll have to incorporate that into somethng I build one day.
Here, the missile deck is formed in foam. This thing is so long it took me about a week of evenings to cut out all these pieces. But, it... loooks... movolous, dolling!
Today I started adding plaster to the misslie deck foam, so I wrapped the already finished part of the hull with wax paper so I could get plaster all over it and not mess it up. This also allows for a good release of the plaster when I'm ready to take the missile deck off to lay glass on it.
And some plaster.
Missile Ripple, Baby!!!
Now I'll stick it out in the hot garage and hope it will be dry enough to sand on some tomorrow night.