Banner Ad 1

Revell type 7 build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby SeaHorse » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Thanks Kent ! I appreciate your help :)
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Postby Landlubber » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:26 pm

Finally got my ducks in a row and was able to spend some time finishing U69.
after spraying the two tone gray,I applied a rust wash followed by a black wash using oil based water colours.A little extra rust around the edges and seams.
Didn"t want to go to overboard,its hard to tell when your weathering when you have gone to far.One thing that realy helped was the use of a heatgun the one used for model plane monocoat application,not the 2000 deg paint stripper one).By using it to dry your wash quickly you can get a sense of what its going to look like without wasting alot of time waiting for the wash to dry and reveal your weathering.
I really hate to part with this one,but I have to many irons in the fire at the moment with other projects that are sitting unfinished,so u69 will be looking for a new skipper in the sub swap forum.
Regards Kent.
Landlubber

Postby MIT » Tue May 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Nice Thread.

I guess you liked my avatar too !!!
MIT

Postby Mylo » Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 pm

Kent,

Great innovation and workmanship. .....just what the hobby needs to keep progressing. Please keep up the good work and posting your efforts. When it comes time to build my WTC for my 1:25 type VIIc/41, I'll need all the help I can get.

.....I've done a similar thing when it comes to drying washes on models to see what it will look like. I used your everyday average hair dryer. ....a hot heat gun would be a BIG mistake, unless you're going for a depth charged look to your hull :) Have you ever tried putting steel wool in a vinigar bath overnight to produce "real" rust, and then applying it as you would a wash ? This is something I've been experimenting with recently with very nice results. It does require a sealer coat with some type of matt finish in order to hold the rust in place though, or it will rub off pretty easily. I plan on using this technique for my VIIc/41. Your finished VIIc looks great, very "real".

Do you have any pics of your boats in the water ?

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Previous

Return to Builder Threads