MY PIG BOAT
Well to do Ray’s GATO was a great learning experience for me, and then give it away try it some time good for your soul! Now watching Merriman R/C his gives me the now how to get started on Mine and Elains of coarse. I got to through that in she reads this stuff too!
Ok the Gap you keep hearing so much about is in their brothers, here you see the top and bottom gaps before doing any thing about it, and as Dave has shown it will spring on you when you cut the sucker.
What did I do to stop it, used the wife’s hair dryer and taped up the hull, went over and over the center section till it was hot to the touch, than cooled her with cold water, this did delete some of the gap. But not all of it. At work I use an infrared heat lamp and will try this out next time, much care must be taken as to not melt the model! The light heats through any material and you can cook under it if you want, so send me yours to try it out on.
The rest of the project is just about the same as Dave does, as you can see, I will modify the superstructure before gluing it to the hull this time (vent risers and exhaust ports). My other plan of attack is to leave the deck top on the boat and cut out the bottom, or as I like to call it a bottom out cut to access the WTC.
Later I can flip the model upside down and remove the bottom section to access the 2.5 WTC, this I plan to secure with magnets and our/a single screw. The rear and forward sections will be glued on to the hull as before, the center section own ends will be used as a supports for the push rods and drive shafts.
I hope this will do two things one it will give me a solid superstructure, two it may not spring as bad. The down side of coarse will be the access of the bow planes and stern control surfaces. This will lead to a second access section I will remove from the top stern of the model to get in their.
The Deck sections are just set in place for now.
MORE TO COME
I used the models own weld line to scribe beside deeper as I went along, then using a # 11 blade I sliced through the rest , this made a nice separation line! Now she did spring on m as well, but as you will see with the use of a single set screw the bottom set on very nice.
The Stern and bow sections are built as the instructions say, and then attached to the hull after the cut is made.
I used the center section own end cap to make an index lip to catch the bow, and in the rear I plan to have a set screw.
Here is the access bottom cut out installed with tape.
As you can see the stern end plate of the center section and the bow has been cut to give support and have a bulkhead to run the drive shafts and push rods through. The over all fit is very nice and with some Plastic later will give me a very tight separation line, I will be making a set of alignment pins for each side to line up the hull break line.
The WTC mounts will be modified when I get the Unit from D&E, I think I will set it in even with the water line, in hopes it will help give me the horizontal surface look I am after.
MORE TO COME