Banner Ad 1

1/25 Type VIIC/41 Scratch Build.

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby DavieTait » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I've managed to find a photo of U995 taken in 1945

And some more photo's
U995 wintergarden
U995 starboard bow
VIIc/41 wintergarden

I'll find some more and put them up

Davie
DavieTait

Postby DavieTait » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:58 pm

I think the U995 started out as a VIIc and was not given the full VIIc/41 conversion ( no lower wintergarden in real life for instance ). I have found some more photo's tho.

DavieTait

Postby DavieTait » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:05 pm

U995 as first built

DavieTait

Postby Mylo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:31 pm

Davie,

Fantastic.

There is one pic there in Black and White that is the same as the colour pic above it of the conning tower. Is that black and white pic a modern pic that is just in black and white ?

I'm trying to figure out if a VIIc/41 has that little lip sticking out from the main deck right near the back of the lower wintergarten. I don't know if this is something added to U-995 post war, or if it is original VIIc/41. I'm not so much interested in the history of U-995 in particular, but more about the type VIIc/41.

Thanks a lot for those pics.

Gantu just e-mailed me a bunch of fantastic recent pics of U-995. Thank you Gantu.

Mylo.
Mylo

Postby Mylo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:40 am

Step 34 : 3rd hull sealer paint coat.

Time to complete : 1 hour.

Totat time to date : 109 hours.

The 3rd and final sealer paint coat was applied to the hull after a light scuffing with 220 grit. At this time, the conning tower base and the conning tower enclosure were painted their first coat. The enclosure was left detached from the base piece because it will be it's own casting.

Step 35 : Removal of remaining spine board pieces.

Time to complete : 2 hours.

Total time to date : 111 hours.

Now that I was finished with the painting of the underside of the hull, it was time to finish the upper deck, which still had pieces of the spine board sticking out. The hull was placed upright in the stand and the remaining spine board was cut off with a hand saw. What was left was sanded flush to the deck with a belt sander, finishing off with some hand sanding to flush it up. The process was the same as the spine board that was initially removed. After sanding, the deck was given a coat of paint. I was happy with my decision to leave the partial spine board in until the underside of the hull was complete. Being able to work on the hull while upside down was very convenient.

Step 36 : Upper deck / conning tower sealer paint coats.

Time to complete : 1 hour.

Total time to date : 112 hours.

Two more coats were given to the upper deck and conning tower. This completed the sealer paint coats for the major hull and conning tower assemblies.

The posting of this step takes me to where I currently am in the build which is the fix to the Atlantic Bow. We are now back in "real time".

Photos of the project to date will be posted with the Atlantic Bow fix which should be within the next day or so, as the bow fix has been a bit of a tough one to get through.

More to follow.

Mylo
Mylo

Postby DavieTait » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:07 am

Mylo wrote:Davie,

Fantastic.

There is one pic there in Black and White that is the same as the colour pic above it of the conning tower. Is that black and white pic a modern pic that is just in black and white ?

I'm trying to figure out if a VIIc/41 has that little lip sticking out from the main deck right near the back of the lower wintergarten. I don't know if this is something added to U-995 post war, or if it is original VIIc/41. I'm not so much interested in the history of U-995 in particular, but more about the type VIIc/41.

Thanks a lot for those pics.

Gantu just e-mailed me a bunch of fantastic recent pics of U-995. Thank you Gantu.

Mylo.

The black and white one of the wintergarden is from an unknown VIIc/41 sub taken in 1944 I scanned out of a book. The one of the U995 in 1945 shows her without the extended Wintergarden , BUT , the one showing her as built shows her with the extended Wintergarden. She might have had battle damage and had her tower replaced tho i'll have a look thru uboat.net see what I can find out for you.

Davie
DavieTait

Postby DavieTait » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:17 am

Mylo wrote:I'm trying to figure out if a VIIc/41 has that little lip sticking out from the main deck right near the back of the lower wintergarten. I don't know if this is something added to U-995 post war, or if it is original VIIc/41. I'm not so much interested in the history of U-995 in particular, but more about the type VIIc/41.

You can see that the as built photo shows her as a VIIc , NOT as a VIIc/41 so she didn't have the lip but the other photo's of the VIIc/41's as built do have the lip and rail on the main deck.

Just to put things into context

U995 as built
U995 post conversion
U995 being repaired post war
U995 in 1945 at wars end
VIIc/41 ( unknown vessel but ths is as fitted out , as surrendered to RN)

Davie
DavieTait

Postby Mylo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Davie,

Thanks again for those pics.

The most definitive one being that black and white that I mentioned, the one that you say is of a type VIIc/41 (not U-995 in particular) taken in '44. That photo clearly shows that lip, although you have to look closely due to the shadow being cast by the lower wintergarten.

Since U-995 was originally a VIIc converted to a VIIc/41 ...and then converted by the Norweigans post war.....and THEN returned to Germany where it was restored (converted again somehow ?) and put on display in Laboe, it's not hard to see why photos of covering the last 60+ years are inconsistant.

Unless I find strong evidence to the contrary, the "lip" on my Type VIIc/41 stays as I believe it was original VIIc/41 design according to my research to date. If anyone has proof to the contrary, that the "lip" in question in fact is NOT original VIIc/41 design, please let me now before I glass my foam plug.....which is coming up soon.

Thanks again.

Mylo

P.S. Work continues on the Atlantic Bow fix. I expect to post the results later today.
Mylo

Postby Mylo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Step 37 : "Atlantic Bow" rework.

Time to complete : 6

Total time to date : 126 hours.

The reworking of the Atlantic Bow was an excercise quite unlike any other molding/shaping experience I've had. What might appear to be a reasonably simple look to the front bow of the VIIc/41, is not. It is a very complicated shape with the difficulty in reproducing it only being harder by the fact that both port and starboard sides need to be symetrical. I was having a hard time visualizing the actual 3d shape of the bow from the many pics I had received from subcommittee members Davie and Gantu (thank you gents). As can be seen, many hours were spent with the sandpaper on this thing trying to get the look correct. I discovered one of the reasons why the bow had initially been done wrong. The tops of my formers do NOT represent the deck surface of the Atlantic Bow. However, the plans showing the upper deck do take the hull into consideration with the extra width at the extreme tip of the bow. Why I didn't realize this until now, I don't know. I never claimed to be a PRO U-Boat builder or expert U-Boat historian. ....that....and just being careless are my excuses. Using the plan as a template, I cut a piece of 1/8 " hardboard to match and secured it by tacking it directly onto the bow of the plug using very small 1/2" finishing nails. I had to dig deep into my old stash of model railroad scenery materials to come up with some molding plaster because I felt that there was too much material to fill using the drywall mud. What the stuff is exactly, I don't remember. It was in an unmarked container and has been in there for years. The plaster was applied to the bow using the now attached hardboard template as the top edge, which added about 1/4" to each side of the old bow. Once the plaster had dried, it was sanded, and sanded, and....sanded, ...then more plaster in places....then some drywall mud, then sand, and sand......until I felt I had the proper profile of the Atlantic Bow. I had to draw upon every shred of sculpting skill to get this thing into form and symetry to even look close. I feel this "new and improved" Atlantic hull is much closer.

Comments / opinions on this new bow ?

More to follow.

Mylo
Mylo

Postby gantu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:53 am

Hi Mylo

here is an helpfull link.

Gantu
gantu

Postby DavieTait » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Mylo i've scanned a photo of surrendered VIIc/41's and the Lip is definately there as standard.

The bow looks to be spot on now as far as I can see.

Well done this is going to be one nice U boat !!

Davie
DavieTait

Postby gantu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 pm

So Mylo here some pic´s of her as you can see she had an GHG Balkon only at the end of war some boat´s got this GHG.

I can send you the fullsze pic´s if you want.

Gantu
gantu

Postby Paul von Braun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:04 pm

Mylo - all is quiet on the western fron, so to speak. How's the build going? No unwanted surprises I hope.
I was thinking about the glassing of your plug - I would ask Steve about the polyester/epoxy debate, he's got much more experience than I have. I think he is an exponent of West's (which we used with sucess in a glider fuselage some years ago).
Also, am off to the fatherland tonight with camera in hand, ready for Saturday's trip to the Bavaria Film studio :D :D :D !!!!

Paul.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby Mylo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:06 pm

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRMMMMMMM !!!

Herr Kaleun Mylo - "Radioman, send a message to BdU (forum readers). U-Boat (computer) under attack by Wasser Bomb. Extensive and non repairable damage to the control room (mother board). Fire in control room (mother board actually melted as result of CPU overheat due to fan failure....and being left on overnight) has resulted in complete inability to post documented mission at hand (U-Boat Build). - Break.

"Work is continuing on schedule with progress on the VIIc/41 build mission not effected by the attack. However, it will be two weeks before the mission will be documented and uploaded for BdU review. At that time, two weeks worth of steady progress will be uploaded" - Break.

"The Enigma machine at Herr Kaleun's employment has allowed for this broadcast to get through to BdU" - End of transmission.

Now....abandon ship with the other crewmembers Radioman. This boat is sunk. We will take the life rafts over to that island and wait for two weeks for a replacement. You have your orders, now GO !

Mylo
Mylo

Postby Paul von Braun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:11 pm

KL Mylo - Message from Bdu - Await rescue from Milchcow - Seriously, sorry to hear about the pc, glad to hear that the boat is okay though.

See ya next week (or should that be woch?) with lots of Das Boot photos!!!!

KL Paul von Braun.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads