Okay, I have not dropped of the planet again....Just been a busy week for me at home. Also has anybody else had problems upload images using imagepost lately?
I am using a Rogue Subworks SSY 1/96 Alpha upgrade kit for the appendages. If nobody has seen these before here is a picture of them. Kevin makes them up to augment the SSY hull because the upper rudder was not right, no seawater scoops, and there were no creeper motors on the dive planes. I also believe that there was an issue with with the scale factor on the bow planes, but I am not sure. Kevin? Any thoughts on this. Due to the small size of the planes surfaces for this model, Kevin also modeled the lower rudder to be correct but the whole appendage is used for turning to increase performance.
I want to get all the appendages on and somewhat faired in before I shoot the first coat of primer. First up is the seawater scoops. I laid out where I felt that they should be based on the plans that I had and several pictures.
I ten super glued them to the hull in the penciled in outlines. I used a flexible metal rule to lay out where the fronts and tails of the scoops were in relation to the center line of the lower hull. To ensure that the scoops won't pop off during a patrol, I 3 way pinned each scoop to the lower hull.
I then started to fair in the scoops to the hull. I first smeared pink bondo into the corner between the hull and the scoops. I then used the glazing and spot putty to fill in the lows. I had to do this several times to fill in to make a smooth transition.
So these are seawater scoops for whatever heat exchangers on the boat that they are using on the boat, What to do with them? Drill them out! I used that very useful bit set again and dremeled out water flow paths in the resin and through the hull.
In the pictures there is a grating across the mouth of the scoops to prevent debris from fouling the inlets. I could not find brass rod small enough yet strong enough to exactly mimic the exact grating in this scale, and I have not ventured into my own photo-etching as of yet. Once again, trying to conserve how much I spend on this project at the moment. The picture shows at least 7 angled bars across the opening, I went with three.
And one final shot of both sides complete.
Next up is going to be the rear appendages.
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)