Banner Ad 1

1/48 scale Japanese I-19 Class B Submarine

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/48 scale Japanese I-19 Class B Submarine

Postby JimDavis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Good day all
I have decided to build my I-19 and after a lot of non productive research I have started my build. There is just not that much information on this class of submarine, but with the help of a 1/200 Nichimo I-19 submarine kit, and all the photos I could find I am comfortable with building this sub. My goals are to make the front planes retractable, working parascopes , working lights . and possible working torpedoes. but with the room I am going to need to make the retractable diving planes it may not be possible. I am planning a wood deck using a marine grade Teak milled by me in my shop. I am going to use a OTW WTC to run the boat and I have all ready had her in the pool and I used around 7lbs of lead to get waterline. This is a big sub. I have another reason to start this project: I have a major back surgery on July 10th scheduled, this will be # 5 and will be done by a robot. when the surgery is successful I will be out of pain and be able to get off of the drugs I have been taking since 2006. So with that said I have the saddles for the WTC made and installed

next will be the sub deck and the retract for the planes. followed by the wood deck and so on.
here is the full size print that I have for the sub
and a clean work shop, today I tore down my lathe. Cleaned the gunk out of it and boy what a difference, next will be the mill, then I will be ready to start the retract.

more pictures of the clean shop

So this is the start. any comments or advice will be truly helpful.
Jim
JimDavis

Re: 1/48 scale Japanese I-19 Class B Submarine

Postby Thor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Jim,

Have you contacted Bruce Martin? He has built a boat of this class and it is highly detailed. He may be able to assist you.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm

I purchased this sub from Bob Martin, are they the same?
Jim
JimDavis

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Nope. Bruce is in Ontario, forum name "Bruce Martin". Bob is in Florida, forum name "Bob the Builder".

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Good luck with you surgery. Interesting robot surgery. A video would be interesting to see. It is amazing what they can do now.
Your shop is very efficient with all of those power tools. Hope to see your build as you progress.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for the comments and now I know the difference between Bruce and Bob. Starting the retracts today.
Jim
JimDavis

Return to Builder Threads